About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: DEATH MESSAGE  (Read 50080 times)
Jan
New Blood

« on: March 14, 2007 »

I have been very lucky and been given a proof of death message, I finished it this morning and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it Mark, as I knew I would!!! Thank you.

"will you be the saviour of the broken, the beaten and the damned "

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007 »

I have been very lucky and been given a proof of death message, I finished it this morning and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it Mark, as I knew I would!!! Thank you.
Phew, thank God for that. Got away with it again.

Glad you liked it, Jan.

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

gailkt
New Blood

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007 »

For Jan's benefit really as she's on much deserved holidays...
Finished Death Message, loved it as always, sent it all the way to Aberdeen to my big sis -that's another one that will be well read and never reach the ebay site's
Come back to work soon!

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007 »

Death Message is Mark's new stand alone novel.  It comes out later this year.
Actually, to be clear, DEATH MESSAGE is not a standalone novel. It's a Thorne novel. The novel that I'[m currently writing, and which will be out next year IS a standalone, called IN THE DARK. So DEATH MESSAGE will be the last Thorne book...for a while. I just want to give the poor old sod a bit of a rest...

And yes, there are proofs of DEATH MESSAGE out there, so a few people have already read it. It will be published in either late August or early September.

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007 »

What I loved about this book Nikki, is not the plot BUT Tom Thorne.  He was just so?Huh?

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

Sonia
Repeat Offender

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007 »

What I loved about this book Nikki, is not the plot BUT Tom Thorne.  He was just so?Huh?

Oh right, you have won the book in the competition, correct ? So looking forward to it...August is still a long time away.

What I hope for is more insight into Thorne's private life, and also Phil's for that matter. Love those scenes probably almost more than the crime plot LOL

Do tell me I won't be dissapointed. (without any spoilers, of course)

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007 »

You do get to know Tom a lot better

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007 »

Phew, thank God for that. Got away with it again.

Glad you liked it, Jan.

Mark

I reckon i shoulfd get proof copies of Marks books. I would review it fairly and then NOT SELL IT ON EBAY!!!

Too dumb for science? Try religion!

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007 »

I am still waiting, patiently, for my copy of Death Message. Damn the postal service.

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

Has anybody seen the plot?

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007 »

OH BOY! Have I made a BIG mistake!

I've just been on to lovereading.co.uk and read the first 13 pages of Death Message.

It's got me completely hooked already and now I'm going to be even more desperate to get hold of my (official) copy!

God doesn't deduct from our alloted life span the time spent drinking.

oh and while I'm at it - READ THIS NOW! Grin - http://jokawasaki.com

heavyd
Serial Poster

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007 »

I read in my Harrogate Crime Festival form guide that Death Message will be available to buy at the festival - over a month before its official release date!

I hope there are going to be plenty of copies available!!!

"Let me clear my throat." - DJ Kool

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007 »

I hope so HeavyD - I would LURVE to pick one up early and Get Mr B to sign it for me while I'm there.... 

(That's Saturday Night  in the bar with all the other Billingham babes/blokes if I've been reading all the posts properly....)

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007 »

Just finished Death Message today, and have to say Mr B has excelled himself yet again.

A superb book, that takes Thorne into a...oops, no spoilers.

Please bring Thorne back very, very soon.

If you want to be happy... be.

LauraL
New Blood

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007 »

I'm not a regular in these parts, to risk understatement, but I just finished DEATH MESSAGE last night and came straight here, to see what others thought. Didn't realize I was one of the early birds, thanks to my visit to Harrogate.

It's a difficult book to discuss without spoilers, so I'll just say it's an enormously satisfying read, one that works on many levels. I think Billingham neophytes would like it almost as much as longtimers, but it really delivers if  you've been following Thorne all along.

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007 »

I just finished my Harrogate copy of Death Message too Laura, and I know what you mean.  I have so many things I want to say about it, but if I do it will just spoil it for anyone else!

It answers so many questions but at the same time you are not left with the feeling that they have been 'contrived' to fit the stories, as you do with many novels, but that it all works together into the story, really well.

Sorry I didn't get to speak to you at Harrogate btw, but I felt it would be too intrusive to just barge up to you and Harlan when I saw you at lunch on the Saturday.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print

Jump to: