About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: PC Clinic  (Read 52033 times)
Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007 »

Please believe me when I say, that I'm not trying to usurp Ravenscross's technical know-how... he no doubt knows a great deal more than I, in that respect.
  But if I can, I might be able to help out, if anyone else cannot ! with any creative advice or suggestions, if anyone on here uses their PC for creating pictures or designs using various graphics programs like Paint, or Serif Desktop Publishing etc.
  I've used them for many years, and have developed certain tricks to save time, and create some rather unusual images!
Just an idea.

Also... if anyone has a need for a poster or advertising an event, and they'd like me to design something, send me the details via e-mail, and I'll try and design something for you, and send it back. If you don't like any particular part or want it changed, let me know what you'd like done, and I'll rectify it.
  This is a totally FREE service for all my BTZ friends!

You know... I'm certain that I get all my words typed properly, and when I select post, the letters get jumbled about!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007 »

All i get from the postman is bills, and maybe the odd catalogue...  Tsk, must be doing something wrong?Huh?

Hey smilier, you'd only have to ask!

Aw,arent you sweet.  I nearly wish i needed something now Smiley

Grin
[/quote]

Only trying to help, that's all
[/quote]

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007 »

Well raven the next time I have a PC problem I'll pm you  instead of swearing at the monitor and tempting to kick the bloody thing.  You are an angel. Wink

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007 »

Just to add to my previous post, I'm currently setting up another website, to show-off my 'creative bent', and some of the 'unusual' images I have created using said software.
   It'll take about another week to get enough of the images downloaded onto the site, as I've got to find the buggers!  I have so many files it's difficult to remember where they are, or what I've called the folders!

Yeah... okay, call me disorganized... now don't I just know what's going to happen next?   but that''s the trouble... this PC is sssoooo out of date... I think it was built in 791 BP!  (Before Progress!)

I'll let you fine people out there know the web address, or put a link in to a post when I'm happy with the way it looks!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007 »

blood  sweat  Tongue  lots of swearing   Shocked and tears   Cry  ....but I've eventually got the router sorted  Yea!!!!

Don't know if any of you have experienced this before but when i eventually  changed my encryption key, then rebooted as Raven advised, I did get connected back to the Internet but I had been connected back up onto channel 1.  and kept losing connection every couple of minutes. But I didn't know this at first.  Undecided

After spending the best part of yesterday trying to sort it out, I suddenly noticed on the belkin network utility that everyone else in range was on channel 10 or 11 and I was on 1. A bit more fiddling and I found out how to change the channel...all OK now   Grin

Might be just a blip on my router but might also be something for any of you to watch out for.

If you want to be happy... be.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007 »

Glad you're back with us, Tzara - I can imagine the stress you were going through, having been in a similar situation myself last week. But well done for sorting it out!

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007 »

Isint this thread such a good idea.  I'll be investing in a laptop for the shop soon. And i must say im a bit relieved to know if i get stuck with something alien to me, i can get advise.  Computers are still very intimidating to me.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007 »

The biggest problem with computers, is that people are afraid to try things. There is always this fear of 'trying something that may kill it'. This thread is to try and make life a little easier before you do those things.
I've got almost 30 years of experience with 'trying things' and almost 18 years of experience of 'trying those things for a living', I've experienced many problems, issues and disasters, giving solutions to most of them.

I am also a really good cook, tell a couple of jokes and drink like a fish, so anyone wanting a new best friend can also drop me a line!  Cheesy Grin

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007 »

Pity you live across the water Raven  Wink- you sound like the ideal party guest Wink - I love computers when they work - when they don't the air is blue- I'm tempted to kick it and wonder why the hell is has to play up Undecided - Fair play to tsara- Smiley I'm just too bemused to figure them out and I can fix anything in the house, electrical, plumbing, woodwork but computers they are ALIEN  Angry- so there Wink Grin Cheesy

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007 »

Can anyone offer advice on Apple Macs?

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007 »

Sadly, Sammonspr.. I can as well!

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007 »

My PC is practically carved out of stone and I'm looking to get something that runs without having to hand crank it.  I'd love a Mac, my laptop is an old iBook (clamshell, 7 years old, OS9 but still working great) and would love to have a Mac desktop.  Problem is I've got a lot of games (and Microsoft Office and my wireless router isn't mac compatible, apparently) for my PC.  Correct me if I'm wrong but these won't work on a Mac, will they? 

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007 »

Nope, sadly. However, if you got a nice powerful Mac (and I mean powerful), you could run Virtual PC on it. This runs windows in a emulator on the Mac and allows you to mess about and play most of your old favourites.
As for Office, you can pick up the Office pack for Students and Teachers in PCWorld for the Mac at a very nice price.
This is what I run on my Powerbook G4, mostly for writing and mucking about on. It deserves more use but since the new laptop, its got a bit dusty.

As for the wireless router, if you are connecting wirelessly, there is no compatability issues. WiFi should be connected to with no issues at all

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007 »

Hmmmm, just as I thought.  Don't think my wallet will stretch to a "powerful Mac".  I'll probably shell out for a PC instead.  It's not the router as such, it's the dongle that's the problem.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007 »

Can anyone offer advice on Apple Macs?

That was why I gave up my Mac - no one new a damn thing about them, so I got a PC but when (if ever) I have a few bob (lots and lots of it) to spare I'm treating myself to a Mac laptop, notebook or whatever they'll be called by then.

And now I know somebody who does know about Macs - great Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print

Jump to: