About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Favourite Billingham characters and relationships?  (Read 9394 times)
Callum
New Blood

« on: February 03, 2006 »

Who's your favourite Billingham character and why?  (Apart from Thorne, obviously!)
I think that Holland has grown so much as a character over the books, and that's been very interesting to follow him from the character he was in Sleepy Head to where he's at now! 

I also love the relationship between Thorne and Hendricks, they remind me of an old married couple!  What it boils down to is two great mates that are slightly afraid to acknowledge how important their friendship really is to each other; Thorne seems to be self-reliant, but I think he would have had a breakdown by now had it not been for Hendricks!

Ruth
New Blood

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006 »

Yeah I love Holland too.  And I have to agree with the relationship between Tom and Hendricks as well.  I liked the somewhat uneasy relationship that Tom has with this other colleagues too.  They're all a bit wary of him and seem to see him as a loose cannon.  I work with an office full of ex Police Officers, and all of them know a Tom Thorne (some of them were a Tom Thorne)!

Sandra mre
Serial Poster

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006 »

I like Dave and Phil.  But I have a sneaking suspicion that there'll be a character in Buried I'm really going to like.

(Dave's girlfriend isn't long for this series, though, I hope.)

Confession is good for the soul but bad for a marriage.  That's why I never admit to anything.

http://www.sandraruttan.com/

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006 »

I'm especially pleased that people seem to like the relationship between Phil and Tom. I'm keen that is sometimes awkward, however fond they might be of one another. And I've tried to steer Holland away from the stereotypical role of sidekick.

Sandra, I hope there is someone you like in BURIED, because she (yes, she) will return in the book I'm currently writing. As will key characters who first appeared in SCAREDY CAT and THE BURNING GIRL...

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

Sandra mre
Serial Poster

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006 »

Excellent!  It was rather brutal of you to mention that last July.  The waiting, the torture...

Confession is good for the soul but bad for a marriage.  That's why I never admit to anything.

http://www.sandraruttan.com/

Callum
New Blood

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006 »

I think that the reason Tom & Phil are such an interesting dynamic is because, for obvious reasons, it's a friendship between a gay man and a straight man.  One of my closest mates that I lived with at uni is gay, and it's certainly a different type of friendship to those I have with your archetypal, lager-swilling, football watching straight male friends.  I think that a lot of people have close relationships with gay people, and it's been refreshing to see this type of relationship attempted (and pulled off extremely well Mark!) in contemporary novels.

millhouse
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006 »

But Phils a gooner!

Si vis pacem para bellum

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006 »

Well I wont spoil things but I have read Buried and it is the best yet.  Thorne and Holland are easily my fav characters and I love the dialogue in the books...real laugh out loud stuff in some cases.  Its great to pick up a book and know you will love it

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

annie
Serial Poster

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006 »

I thought Buried wasnt out til may so how have you read it Lee?

Jibba
New Blood

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006 »

Tom & Phil's dialogue with each other is great thats pisstaking inane chat they do is really realistic. I know when i am with my mates down the pub or whatever there is loads of that ribbing and riffing on each other that marks our real friendship. there are no airs and graces, although they can sometimes be wary of each other and they (like alot of men - straight or gay) hide a lot of feelings from each other.

Raen
Repeat Offender

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006 »

I have to say that it was the relationship between Thorne and his Dad that was the most poignant, especially when the Alzheimers became involved but I think, in general, all of the relationships portrayed in the books are thought provoking. And PLEASE get rid of Sophie... If she's not already gone, I'm a bit out of sequence with the books now. Just about to start on Lifeless!

Don't worry bout what you can't change

Doug
New Blood

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006 »

Besides the more obvious ones like Phil and Dave, I have to say I also like Carol Chamberlain and wouldn't mind seeing her (or Spike from "Lifeless") again in the future.

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006 »

Doug,

You'll be seeing more of Carol Chamberlain in BURIED. Not sure if Spike will re-appear anywhere though. The book I've nearly finished will also see the return of key characters from both SCAREDY CAT and THE BURNING GIRL...

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006 »

I hope this is not the beginnings of a long drawn out Misery situation! I think Thorne should get into Joy Division and shift allegiance to Blackburn Rovers.

darkdoug
Repeat Offender

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006 »

Holland and Mackevoy.

Pages: [1] 2
Print

Jump to: