About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Favourite Billingham characters and relationships?  (Read 9381 times)
Sonia
Repeat Offender

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006 »

I absolutely adore the relationship of Thorne and Phil Hendricks. I think Phil is the closest to a best friend Tom Thorne could get.

Somehow I get the impression, the way Phil behaves, talks or even looks at Thorne, that he is a bit infatuated with him. Not that he could ever admit that to Thorne, seeing that he is the "normal" straight male. But I can have my little ideas on the side, can't I ? Wink

I wonder if Mark is doing these innuendoes deliberately, or whether it's just my imagination that runs wild, projecting on Phil these feelings for Thorne ?

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006 »

Personally I always read the relationship between Hendricks and Thorne as building up to a brotherly sort of thing.  Obviously with the risks Thorne takes as part of his job the feeling has been able to build more deeply for Hendricks.  You have to wonder, if Hendricks' life were in jeopardy, how would Thorne react, emotionally, that is?

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006 »

Personally I always read the relationship between Hendricks and Thorne as building up to a brotherly sort of thing.  Obviously with the risks Thorne takes as part of his job the feeling has been able to build more deeply for Hendricks.  You have to wonder, if Hendricks' life were in jeopardy, how would Thorne react, emotionally, that is?

I reckon thorne is gonna sleep with him eventually...

Too dumb for science? Try religion!

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006 »

Are you exposing your own deeply held longings here PJ? Wink

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006 »

nah similar relationship developed between two friends of mine, started out as work colleages went out for a few drinks the straight one found out the other was gay they became best buds, moved in together. one night got pissed kissed each other and been together ever since... im copyrighting this idea though in case mark nicks it........

Too dumb for science? Try religion!

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006 »

nah similar relationship developed between two friends of mine, started out as work colleages went out for a few drinks the straight one found out the other was gay they became best buds, moved in together. one night got pissed kissed each other and been together ever since... im copyrighting this idea though in case mark nicks it........

Probably wise.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Sonia
Repeat Offender

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006 »

I'm sure Thorne would do anything to help his friend. But what I'm getting at is that I suspect, for Phil the feelings go deeper. Not that I think Thorne would want the friendship to stray away from the normal buddy-relationship. He's too much interested in female company, as far as I can judge. But that wouldn't stop Phil from having secret dreams and hopes, right ?

The only one I would pity in that "ménage à trois" is Brendan then of course. It's not easy to be the second best choice, just because Phil couldn't have Thorne. And Phil obviously tries to hook up Brendan with Dave Holland. I found it hilarious when he offers a double date. I quote Phil, talking to Thorne in Lifeless: "Me and you, Dave and Brendan." Notice the arrangement of the couples ? Can't be all coincidence...

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006 »

Can't they just be friends and let that be that.  I never thought of them as being attracted to each other just cos Hendricks is Gay..  Can't you be friends with a gay person and share their experiences without shagging them  Huh

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006 »

maybe if yer a woman.to be friends with a gay man means either never showing any emotion (probably homophobic) pretending to shag more women than are in existence (deffo homophobic) trying to get in vogue with the scene(patronising) or just tiring of it all and rather than lose a good friend,throwing yourself at him in a drunken stupor which you think is a moment of clarity and he tells you that you are unnattractive and not his type.and wake up half relieved/half offended.well that is how Heath and I fell out momentarily.apara,now i am a faghag.he`s still my football buddy each fortnight.

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006 »

maybe if yer a woman.to be friends with a gay man means either never showing any emotion (probably homophobic) pretending to shag more women than are in existence (deffo homophobic) trying to get in vogue with the scene(patronising) or just tiring of it all and rather than lose a good friend,throwing yourself at him in a drunken stupor which you think is a moment of clarity and he tells you that you are unnattractive and not his type.and wake up half relieved/half offended.well that is how Heath and I fell out momentarily.apara,now i am a faghag.he`s still my football buddy each fortnight.

And men say we women complicate things.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006 »

I know both sides of the fence, doesn't affect me either way!  Why would/should it...  I'm not homophobic or a faghag, people are people, who they sleep with doesn't concern me..  And anyway, Hendricks seems to wear the pants in the relationship, so him and Thorne do the man thing when they discuss it??   Not saying too much so i don't ruin anything for people who need to catch up!!! 

Duke of Forgill
New Blood

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2006 »

I enjoyed the return of Tughan in the Burning Girl and the sparring relationship that he had with Thorne in this book.

Strangely though I don't really remember Tughan from Sleepyhead and must go and re read sections of this to find out why they were so antagonistic towards each other.

Stuart MacBride
Repeat Offender

Mmm, beard...

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006 »

Tughan's scene on the underground in Sleepyhead is a classic, and I love the way Thorne treats him with the deference and respect he deserves ;}#

Sonia
Repeat Offender

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006 »

Tughan's scene on the underground in Sleepyhead is a classic, and I love the way Thorne treats him with the deference and respect he deserves ;}#

come to think of it...I remember reading this scene and expecting some further development into this behaviour of Tughan's. I was hoping he would get into trouble for it some day. But maybe Mark has forgotten this storyline.

Stuart MacBride
Repeat Offender

Mmm, beard...

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006 »

Nah, he's holding it back, ready to pounce like a writing panther! Or some sort of tree snake. Or maybe a septuagenarian ninja. He is getting on a bit, you know...

Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: