About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The BTZ Writers Group  (Read 15975 times)
Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007 »

Was just wondering do they have any writing competitions in UK?

I've entered a few through the Daily Mail.  Earlier in the year they had one where the winner actually gets a 30k publishing deal.  I've entered another few short story competitions through the Real Writers website, and of course there's the NaNoWriMo (no prize, just the satisfaction)

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007 »

The local library or Art Centre is the place to go in Darlo. for local comps.

Or if you type Q in a search engine, brings some results.

If you want to be happy... be.

nwh
New Blood

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007 »

Ravencross, id like to become a memeber of the writing group and would be obliged if you could add me to the mailing list regarding challenges etc that may be set.  I am currently in the process of writing my own book and would like to share ideas etc with others. 

I had asked mark about short stories in the past and he recommended staying away from them as publishers are scared of them.  Personally I like short stories, and they are often fast paced and get to the "nitty gritty" without losing out on the "unputdownable" factor.  Im thinking that the story i am writting at the minute will be a short one!  So if you find any sites etc. out there that publish short stories if you could pass them on id be greatly obliged!

Also, do all the members of the club write full time or some part time and just for fun?  Or a mix of both?  Im no professional writter and simply enjoy writing for fun, but i would shy away from a publishing deal if one came across! lol

Winners in life have two things - definate goals...and a burning desire to achieve them.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007 »

All of us in the group so far are budding authors. Several have completed full novels, and we all work on short stories (the group is based around the concept of short stories). I, myself, am halfway through my first novel which seems to be going down well with all those that have read it.

All I need for you to join the group is your email address. You can email me with it and some details about yourself, so we know who you are.

Tomorrow (Monday 3rd Sept) will see the re-boot of the group, with the new exercise, an introduction to the new members and details of the special project for Christmas.

ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007 »

I, for one, shall look forward to that, Ravens! :-)

nwh
New Blood

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007 »

Thanks for that Ravenscross, i have emailed you my address and look forward to a reply.  Cheers

Winners in life have two things - definate goals...and a burning desire to achieve them.

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

How apt that 'Bandit' is an anagram of BT and I

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007 »

Include me in too ravenscross please. 3 more posts and I'll be able to PM you my email address

Superstar Tradesman!

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007 »

Superstar Tradesman!

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007 »

Superstar Tradesman!

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007 »

Superstar Tradesman!

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007 »

Damn! I was always English rather than Maths

Superstar Tradesman!

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007 »

Brilliant!  Grin

If you want to be happy... be.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007 »

Well, the writers group is marching on.

We now have 12 (yes, 12! I know...) members, a rules and regulations control and a new scoring system (incredibly easy, but has a very complex spreadsheet giving the results) for the exercises. This months exercise is moving on nicely (as in, no-one has complained about it, yet) and next months has already been worked out, ready to present to the team.

If you'd like to be a member of the group, drop me a line and you could be included into next months exercise.

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007 »

Got all the stuff Chris and looking forward to taking part

Superstar Tradesman!

ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007 »

Re this month's exercise. How strict are we on the word count? My first draft is coming in close to 2000 words.

Also, I assume it doesn't HAVE to be in script format, just because it's dialogue? I've done mine as short story/novel format, with dialogue, of course. I've no problems writing scripts at all - I have written quite a few - but felt I wanted to tell this particular tale in prose form, first person.

I'm trying to fit it in between my own writing as I'm on a bit of a roll with that - and, of course, I have to give that priority. Hopefully I'll have something to submit though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print

Jump to: