About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 269
Print
Author Topic: TV  (Read 435339 times)
Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #3915 on: June 25, 2011 »

Sorry, Carol, but they're pompous, tax-dodging tosspots. And he's too old to wear leather as well...

Mark x

Can't really say anything about their recent concert here (in Winnipeg, 29th May), I never saw any of it! I was working at the Canad Inns stadium so I heard it. Did think their stage was an awesome idea and liked the 360 degree screens, though, and did see some of it being erected days before the show. (Even got a couple of cell phone pics of it, which I wasn't supposed to do, apparently.)

The only thing that irked me was they got a flight of CF-18's flying over just before they came on stage. I don't know why it bugs me. I just didn't think they would want something military connected with their shows.

But I just read this bit which makes me smile: (Copied from the Winnipeg Free Press) "As dusk fell, Bono pulled a trembling fan from the floor on stage, wrapped an arm around her shoulder, and asked her to read a passage from a piece of paper. She did, and the words suddenly became familiar: "And she looked at me with her big brown eyes and said... you ain't seen nothin' yet."" Which is from You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet by Bachman-Turner Overdrive, who are from Winnipeg.

Everybody had a good time, from what I remember, and that's what's important. (Even though Winnipeg had been spelt with one N on their screen.) The band was here in the 'Peg for a couple days before their show and they greeted the fans who came to meet them at the airport when they arrived before heading to their hotels or wherever they were going. (But did they really need to have a twelve car entourage to take them! I know they have their road managers, assistants, etc, but they could have got 2 - 4 vans to carry them all.)

Didn't mean to go on so much. Don't hate me.

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #3916 on: June 26, 2011 »

OK, there's so much else we agree on that I think a small disagreement about the merits of U2 is neither here nor there. Nothing wrong with Neil Diamond though. OR the hat, now you mention it. And that woman WAS more than a little drunk!

I know how you feel. When a band or an artist is really special to you, it's impossible to countenance criticism. I'm the same about Costello, or Morrissey. Or Peter Andre.

See you soon. Harrogate?

Mark x

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3917 on: June 26, 2011 »

Anybody else enjoy "Case Histories" on BBC over the last few weeks?  I like Kate Atkinson's books, and felt that on the whole it was a good TV serialisation.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #3918 on: June 26, 2011 »

OK, there's so much else we agree on that I think a small disagreement about the merits of U2 is neither here nor there. Nothing wrong with Neil Diamond though. OR the hat, now you mention it. And that woman WAS more than a little drunk!

I know how you feel. When a band or an artist is really special to you, it's impossible to countenance criticism. I'm the same about Costello, or Morrissey. Or Peter Andre.

See you soon. Harrogate?

Mark x

Hey, what's a few insults between friends  Grin

Hoping to make Harrogate - see you soon! x

I'm a S-k-g....

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #3919 on: June 26, 2011 »

See you soon. Harrogate?

Mark x

Hey, what's a few insults between friends  Grin

Now, now, everybody. Play nice.

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #3920 on: June 27, 2011 »

/quote]

I really hope so. It would be great to see you.

Mark x

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #3921 on: June 27, 2011 »

Sorry, Carol, but they're pompous, tax-dodging tosspots. And he's too old to wear leather as well...

Mark x

I've been waiting for somebody to say that for far too long, I totally agree with you, pity thery're Irish.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3922 on: July 09, 2011 »

OK - enough talk of tight leather trousers!  Wink

I've really enjoyed the 2nd series of Luther.  He is not much of a one for following procedures - would be a match made in heaven with Tom Thorne!  Screen presence of Idris Elba is amazing.

Anybody else dipped in to this?

I'll see you in my dreams.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #3923 on: July 09, 2011 »

OMFG!

Don't ask me how I know, but Torchwood is 'amazing' !!!!

Will so keep me hooked for the whole 10 episodes!

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3924 on: July 10, 2011 »

Quite enjoyed the first episode of Justified, which just screened on NZ TV last week.

Right now my vote for 'best high quality tv show' (ala following in the footsteps of The Sopranos, The West Wing, The Wire etc - ie good writing/acting/layers etc) is probably Sons of Anarchy... that one has really snuck up on me and surprised me with it's depth etc. Not sure if it's my absolute fave show on TV right now, but i think it is probably the best show on TV (that I've been watching) right now...

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3925 on: July 11, 2011 »

Anyone else watching Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior? 'Tis pretty dark!

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3926 on: July 11, 2011 »

Started watching it last week, Chel. Haven't made my mind up yet.

Munster by the Grace of God.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #3927 on: July 11, 2011 »

I do Chel. Its not quite a chip off the old block is it.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3928 on: July 11, 2011 »

Anyone else watching Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior? 'Tis pretty dark!

Haven't really got into this yet, although I liked the crossover episode(s) that had Forrest Whittaker etc in. Criminal Minds was my favourite 'cop show' for the past couple/few years, but just in the past year or so I grew a little weary of it - not so much the show waning, as me just needing a break from all the dark tales. So my fave (in an enjoyable, not necessarily I think they're the best shows on TV) cop shows in the past year have been The Mentalist, Castle, and Numb3rs (the latter on DVD). I've also slowing got into the Hawaii 5-0 remake, which I didn't think much of at the start. All a touch lighter, with a bit more humour than Criminal Minds - which is still an excellent show.

Although as I said above, I now think the 'best' crime show on TV (that I'm watching) is SONS OF ANARCHY - perhaps to be challenged by JUSTIFIED or LUTHER once I watch more of them...

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3929 on: July 12, 2011 »

I know what yer saying guys. I was wondering if i was giving it a hard time because it's got so much to live up to. IMO Criminal Minds is the best of it's kind and hard to beat.

I must say NCIS has done pretty well out of the Jag series. That said, i don't really like Jag. So does that mean that you will always like one or the other or can you do both?

I haven't indulged in Luther or Hawaii 5-0 yet.  Between reading and t.v, one can overdose on the dark side.

And I'm loving Game of Thrones & True Blood at the moment. That's enough hours at the box for anyone......

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 269
Print

Jump to: