About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recommend a book for 10-11 yr old boys.  (Read 1071 times)
Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« on: September 30, 2011 »

Like the fool I am, I have rashly agreed to run a reading club in my school for two half-hours a week. The older lads here (and everywhere, I think) have an aversion to reading, and we're trying to find a way to engage them before they vanish into secondary school.

I’d welcome any suggestions as to how to interest the lads as well as book recommendations. We're going to Kindle-up too.

I’m thinking of finding books with relatively short chapters and I’m planning to read a couple, with the children following, and stopping at an exciting bit. I was then going to ask them to read a bit, and give them a couple of chapters to read at home before the next session. (Sadly, I think Triskellion is a bit advanced..... Shocked)

So, help!

I’m thinking Malorie Blackman, Benjamin Zephaniah, Michael Morpego….boy heroes, different races and social groups – maybe a few funny short stories…all suggestions for books and strategies gratefully received!

I'm a S-k-g....

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 »

Hats off to you RC - that's a great project to take on.

Will get my thinking cap on.

I'll see you in my dreams.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011 »

Having only got experience of reading to grandchildren who were interested, I have not got many useful suggestions. Maybe you could use Mark's contacts to have some of the authors visit the group once it gets going.

Munster by the Grace of God.

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 »

The book I recall adoring at age 10-11 is Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner and also The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper. They may be a little too dated, perhaps.
  Same goes for the classics I suppose.

Maybe some ideas here?
http://nosycrow.com/blog/and-now-best-books-for-10-year-old-boys

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011 »

Recent ones that seem to get the attention are the Young Bond books. But my favourite at that age were the Stainless Steel Rat stories.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011 »

How about The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly?

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011 »

Tolkien's The Hobbit?

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011 »

Great ideas, people, thank you - now, how best to get them interested.....?

I'm a S-k-g....

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011 »

Tasers or cattle prods?

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011 »

Good luck RC. I'd try the Adam Blade books, they fly off the shelves in Skipton, and perhaps Darren Shan. Sorry Dave, I'd say the Hobbit has way too many pages for reluctant readers. (It has way too many pages for me too) Wink

Strongest girl in the world

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011 »

Percy Jackson series is very popular at work, also Diary of a wimpy kid series.  All ages seem to read them

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011 »

Ok, Eirin is 10 and LOVES to read. I just had a look at her desk to see  what she is currently reading and the list is this...

Skulduggery Pleasant "The Faceless one" by Derek Landy (she has almost all of the Skulduggery series)

Dirty Bertie (about three of these) A few of her favorites are "Worms", "Fleas" and  "Burp"

I see she is re-reading Percy Jackson and the last Olympian. Loved these and learnt an awful lot about the Greek Gods to boot.. (she can list them off and tell you all about them now)

And her latest love is Michael Morpurgo. We bought her the full set of his work recently and she loves him. And his books are real.

Hope this helps xxx

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011 »

Oh, P.S. Eirin also really loves Enid Blytons
The Faraway Tree and The Famous Five Series

Kevin Wignall
Repeat Offender

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011 »

Oh, I'm offended, particularly after meeting a 10 year old at Bath Festival on Friday who loved "Blood".   "K walks off in high dudgeon".  Seriously, that 10 year old was very advanced.  If the boys are below their reading age try Mr Gum by Andy Stanton which is a lot of fun.  Otherwise, if they're street-smart you could try the Robert Muchamore "Cherub" books - these are for slightly older boys, but deal with real urban issues in a thrilling way (the boys are agents in the war on gangs/drugs, etc, but the books have to be read in order).  And "The Enemy" by Charlie Higson could go down very well - zombie novel.  Good luck with it, Carol. K

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011 »

Books I was reading around that age (as a 10-year old boy): The Hardy Boys series, some Sherlock Holmes, The Hobbit, the Narnia series, Asterix, Roald Dahl (plus plenty of others that are less memorable). I first read the Lord of the Rings at about 11 or 12.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: