About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Poll
Question: Should we reboot the BOTM club?
Yes
No
Yes, but in the New Year
Not Interested
What's the BOTM club?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Is it possible to reboot this?  (Read 7354 times)
smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011 »

Although there were other possibilities (I`d dearly love the BTZ massive to read the erstwhile forum member Nick Quantrill`s debut `Broken Dreams`) in this financial climate, I chose a novel which I think we can all get something from and that has 87 copies on Amazon for 1p.

LONDON IRISH by ZANE RADCLIFFE

This is more of a thriller than a `crime` novel as such and it will come as no surprise that it has a comic sensibility. It is however, as many have pointed out, as dark as the pint of Guinness on the front of it.

This is the link to Amazon;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Irish-Zane-Radcliffe/dp/0552770957/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315901494&sr=1-1

and this is the blurb:

Half-Irish, half-Scots (and half-cut), Bic runs a moderately-successful stall selling crepes in Greenwich market in the shadow of the Millennium dome (which is news to his father, who thinks he's dragging his heels a bit over his botany degree).

He's a decent enough fellow, quite organized really, with his own set of rules - although he has, he is the first to admit, broken most of them. For starters, he spends far too much time in the pub - and then there's that one about not sleeping with another older (and with a predilection towards extreme violence) man's wife...

And Bic's dream, while not topping the charts in the ambition stakes, is decent enough: to meet the right girl, return to Ulster, settle down and start Northern Ireland's first ostrich farm. But things haven't been going too well recently: the flat below his burnt to a cinder leaving its incumbent (deceased) melted to the loo seat; then a fellow stall-holder (also deceased) seems to have hit the deck (literally) of the nearby 'Cutty Sark' in suspicious circumstances and now the Culture Secretary has gone and run over Bic's beloved dog while supervising the arrangements for London's world-beating Millennial celebrations.

But then a silver - or rather a mysterious, somewhat elusive raven-haired - lining appears in the guise of Roisin. Not only has she taken over the stall opposite Bic's, she's also from home, heart-stoppingly beautiful and, as far as Bic can tell and if you don't count her two over-protective brothers, single. While wedding bells might still be a little way off, Bic felt things were looking up - until the morning he woke with a blinder of a hangover and discovered he was BRITAIN'S MOST WANTED MAN - on the run, with Roisin as his hostage and 14 murders to his name…

Shall we allow a couple of weeks to obtain this from library or Amazon and then reconvene with proposals for a date for discussion? Sunday 25th September sound ok?

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011 »

ok then smudge 25th it is

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011 »

Ordered - thanks for providing the link Smudge.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011 »

Ordered today - looking forward to this one!

I'm a S-k-g....

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011 »

I'll read Betty's copy  Grin

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011 »

Oh dear, it will take me weeks to get this title.  My usual haunts dont have it.  I will be late to the discussion......I have however read Broken Dreams, having met Nick at Harrogate last year.

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011 »

I'm in, and go Smudge. (checks the thread)

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011 »

And ordered from Amazon.

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

momkat
Serial Poster

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011 »

I'm going to be late to the convo, too, Linda. (bad kathy hadn't looked on the forum!) but it is on order!
Thanks, Smudge! You are my hero!

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011 »

As far as I am aware, we havent yet `booked ` a date for conversation on this! I have obviously not been clear, but we can convene next Sunday and discuss a date that is ok for everyone to contribute.
  I am aware that books take a while to arrive and that we have to read the darned thing, so I`m sure we can agree a time where everyone is comfortable, having read, digested and perhaps formed opinion on the book.
 We`ll see the state of play on Sunday; who has a copy, who is awaiting one and who needs time.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011 »

I'll need time Wink 

Strongest girl in the world

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011 »

Phew - I had mis-read Smudge's post and thought that we had to commence discussion on 25th! Embarrassed

My copy has arrived and I should get started at the weekend.  Smiley

I'll see you in my dreams.

momkat
Serial Poster

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011 »

so did I! I feel so much better!
And I am SO EXCITED that my fave part of the forum has returned!!!

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011 »

Ok. Who's in and who's struggling? The book is hardly a doorstop so, to paraphrase the Scottish play, shall we three meet again here on Wednesday the 5th October and share our thoughts?

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011 »

I won't be able to this time round, unless the book arrives this week. I'm going into hospital at the end of the week and won't be feeling like reading for a few weeks if the past is anything to go by. I will join in for next month though. Hope that's ok? x

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print

Jump to: