About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Demise of News of the World  (Read 1499 times)
Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« on: July 07, 2011 »

Well, it's certainly been an eventful day for the media.

Something had to happen, as the revelations about the phone tapping plummeted to new depths by the hour.  Unfortunately, it seems that yet again those on the shop floor are taking the bullets, while those at the top keep their jobs.

I'll see you in my dreams.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011 »

As usual.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011 »

Cynical move (unsurprisingly) by Murdoch and the higher-ups in News International.

Fortunately it seems most of the other media, and the public, are seeing it for what it is, so hopefully the wool won't be pulled over the politicians eyes when it comes to the whole B Sky B thing...

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011 »

It's pretty heavy stuff, even for the media. I wonder how many innocent people will lose their jobs?
The whole thing is scandalous ...

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011 »

I predict The Sun on Sunday....Nature abhors a vacuum, as we know.

I'd love to know what that Rebecca one has on Murdoch that he protects her to the extent that he has...she obviously knows where the bodies were buried.

I'm a S-k-g....

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011 »

I'd love to know what that Rebecca one has on Murdoch that he protects her to the extent that he has...she obviously knows where the bodies were buried.

Indeed... 200 people - most of whom weren't there when the alleged actions occurred - lose their jobs, but those higher-up who were responsible (knowledgeable or not, as editor the buck stops there) hold onto their positions...

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011 »

It's human nature to take self righteous pleasure in outrage, but, even bearing that in mind it's impossible to comprehend how anyone could possibly have thought the NOTW's behaviour was ever acceptable, ethical or in any way a good idea. Imagine Glenn Mulcaire's wife asking him how his day at work went: "Well, not too bad, dear; I deleted the voicemail of a recently murdered schoolgirl and led her parents to believe she may possibly be still alive. After that I intruded on the inconsolable grief of a recently bereaved family whose son was killed in Afghanistan under the most horrific circumstances it is possible to imagine. Other than that I had quiet one. How about you, how was your day?"

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011 »

Firstly, I agree. What they did was terrible and it harbours very close to the view of modern day Burke and Hare, praying on other to the benefit of the crowds. Even so far as to think that the writers of "Tomorrow never dies" didn't quite go far enough.

But the main concern is that it was actually very easy. We take for granted that as soon as we have that phone to our ears, and start to talk, that conversation is bubble protected. That the email you sent suggesting a meeting with the girl from accounts is just between the two of you and that order for that weird looking toy on the Ann Summers site will just be on a system where no-one can find it.

In these days of identity theft, data being lost and phones being removed from pockets, it makes you wonder if technology has just made life easier, or just easier to be made more disposable.

The sad reality is that, although the NOTW will be dismissed into the misty lands of historic papers, its ghost will still linger and hover over whichever title they decide to use on the next rag that gets produced. And time will tell if the same dirty methods will be used, over and over again, just to get their hands on someone's Sunday 80p.

Sonia J
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011 »

The Name 'Sun on Sunday' has indeed been registered this week so no doubt it will be along soon.

In no way am I defending the News of the world with my next comment!

The good thing to come out of this sordid situation is the public outrage. Probably some of the very same people who used to buy the paper for the scandal and titillation are now calling for heads to roll because they now realise that their Sunday 'fix' came at the expense of someone far less fortunate than themselves.
Hopefully the appetite for this kind of journalism will be less in future.

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011 »

I have just caught up with Question time on i-player (yes, my life really is that sad!).

Thought that Hugh Grant was bit of a revelation.  I know that his passion for the topic is down to his personal involvement at being hacked, but thought that he ran rings around the Tory and Labour MPs, and always had an answer for Jon Gaunt.  He even managed to flirt with Dame Shirley - who was on good form herself.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011 »

The Name 'Sun on Sunday' has indeed been registered this week so no doubt it will be along soon.
In no way am I defending the News of the world with my next comment!

The good thing to come out of this sordid situation is the public outrage. Probably some of the very same people who used to buy the paper for the scandal and titillation are now calling for heads to roll because they now realise that their Sunday 'fix' came at the expense of someone far less fortunate than themselves.
Hopefully the appetite for this kind of journalism will be less in future.

I agree Sonia, I will admit, that in the days when I used to buy the tabloids, and yes even NOTW it was mostly for the Page 3 stunner... who in truth could never hold a candle to any of the fab BTZ babes!  (See, I haven't lost my touch!!!) I have seen in the last few years a dramtic decline in the standard of journalism, and as such I hope that in the light of this, the papers and thier staff will adhere to a better stabdard of reporting that doesn't involve sensationalistic and hurtful reporting, for the sake of selling paper and ink!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011 »

I have just caught up with Question time on i-player (yes, my life really is that sad!).

Thought that Hugh Grant was bit of a revelation.  I know that his passion for the topic is down to his personal involvement at being hacked, but thought that he ran rings around the Tory and Labour MPs, and always had an answer for Jon Gaunt.  He even managed to flirt with Dame Shirley - who was on good form herself.

Agreed, Mary. I was also quite impressed by Hugh Grant's performance (there's eleven words I thought I'd never write) on Question Time. Steve Coogan makes some very valid observations surrounding the whole scandal too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQ3MJfBwuo

Incidentally, according to today's Daily Mirror Rupert Murdoch's organisation have warned Ed Milliband to "lay off" Rebekah Brooks or risk losing any potential support in future elections. This is outrageous; how dare they? Are News International in any position to influence who may or may not form the next government, either morally or ethically? Have they learned nothing by recent events? Seemingly not.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011 »

Incidentally, according to today's Daily Mirror Rupert Murdoch's organisation have warned Ed Milliband to "lay off" Rebekah Brooks or risk losing any potential support in future elections. This is outrageous; how dare they? Are News International in any position to influence who may or may not form the next government, either morally or ethically? Have they learned nothing by recent events? Seemingly not.

That's unbelievable - and he's banging another nail in the coffin of his bid to take full control of BSkyB with every word. I see he's also trying to block Google from using any of the news content of his companies. How can anyone one individual be permitted to have so much power over the media when he's proven without doubt that he will use it to his own ends?

Who was it that said that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely?

I never understand the arrogance of some people - in this multi-media-24/7-information-deluged world, you must know that your sins eventually will find you out.

And I'd STILL like to know what hold Rebekah has over Murdoch - that's going to be a story worth hearing when that comes out. And it will.

Absolute Radio has been cracking jokes all day about the rudery and shenanigans that all the footballer and MPs are planning for next week, without fear of discovery or exposure after the NOTW shuts up shop on Sunday.

I'm a S-k-g....

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011 »

And I'd STILL like to know what hold Rebekah has over Murdoch - that's going to be a story worth hearing when that comes out. And it will.

Sky News seemed to explain it last night. Her job at the moment is to protect and take the flak for anyone named Murdoch.

Munster by the Grace of God.

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011 »

Seems like SKY news has abandoned any pretense towards impartiality. Today's reporting of the imminent closure of the NOTW was sycophantically pro Murdoch and wistfully nostalgic for the soon to be defunct News of the Screws. It was rather sickening in its valedictory and blatantly selective appraisal, the tacit suggestion being: "what a loss the demise of the NOTW will be, and who will yield the sword of honour against the venal and corrupt now that they're no longer here to nobly campaign on your behalf." And the wronged Rebekah's innocence was, once again, reiterated at great length.

If it wasn't for Game Of Thrones I think I'd have cancelled my Sky subscription there and then.

Pages: [1] 2
Print

Jump to: