About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: We were family  (Read 4447 times)
Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011 »

Get your head back down Guv.  A new book and the next TV series will give us fresh topics to talk about on here!  Wink

I'll see you in my dreams.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011 »

Get your head back down Guv.  A new book and the next TV series will give us fresh topics to talk about on here!  Wink

True.

I have to admit that although I've attempted to start many new threads in the past few months, some of these may be too 'niche' for some people on the forum, as they might relate to New Zealand crime writers etc - many of who you won't be aware of, or might find hard to find in the UK etc. I understand this - I just thought it was something unique I could bring to the forum, given my background and location - but I understand why many of those threads haven't kicked off or kept going.

I have been a little disappointed that some other more general threads etc that I've tried to start, or get feedback or discussion going on, haven't really captured the BTZers interest - often it seems when I check in it's just the same old, same old threads that have new comments (eg 'what have i read', 'what have i bought recently', 'tv', 'what are you looking forward to', etc). Though I do understand this becomes self-fulfilling - if those are the threads people are regularly commenting on - and sharing more than just the topic, then those are the threads other people will continue to go back to, while other new threads with perhaps interesting topics wither and die... it's just the way it is.

I'll do my best to help by trying to start a few new threads to get some various crime fiction discussion going - about MB's books etc, about crime fiction in general, and maybe sharing a little bit about NZ stuff, for those that might be interested...

It's up to you guys whether you want to join in with any of them. We'll see how it goes. As Ravens and others have pointed out, it does become a bit disheartening to regularly check in and see not much is happening, or that no-one has responded to a comment you thought might generate some discussion or response. We're all busy, and it kind of becomes 'well, what's the point' sometimes - which can be the star of a forum death if enough people think that. I've seen it happen on other forums too - back in the early 2000s I was a regular poster on a US sports forum, that had tonnes of regulars, and plenty of ongoing discussion - but then that died off, the regulars left or posted less regularly, newer regulars didn't feel as welcome or there was as much going on etc - I checked in a while back, and the forum had changed completely - I missed the 'old forum' I knew (the people, the discussions etc), but that's the manner of these things. Forums evolve and change, just like families. Nothing stays the same forever.

PS I am meant to be interviewing Mark for an article in the Weekend Herald, NZ's biggest newspaper, in the coming weeks - so I will make sure I share that with you all here. At least that's something I know you'll all be interested in :-)

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011 »

I have noticed that a golf forum which I contribute to has also grown quiet over the last few months.  Maybe with the longer days and (sometimes) better weather, we are currently spending less time on our PCs?

Look forward to reading your interview Craig.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011 »

I have noticed that a golf forum which I contribute to has also grown quiet over the last few months.  Maybe with the longer days and (sometimes) better weather, we are currently spending less time on our PCs?

To be honest, I assumed that was part of it, given most of you are currently enjoying summer over there...

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011 »

I have noticed that a lot of the less serious posts that used to fill some of the CHAT and GENERAL DISCUSSION topics are now appearing on Facebook.

Munster by the Grace of God.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011 »

Is it just me, or have things got better over the last few days.

I think its great that people seem to think the same way as I do. In the past few years, this places has sometimes been a lifeline to me. At other times, it's infuriated me. But I've never truly turned away from it. Maybe it's my requirement to feel like a member of a team, maybe its because sometimes, I stand out from the crowd whilst here (possibly its that!).

You'll be glad to hear that there's been no PM's!

Walking around London the other night, it struck me how much of an insular and solo lifestyle I do actually live. I do find it hard to make friends nowadays, just because of who I am, and what I do. Here, I feel, I've got a few friends to include into my daily routine. But I am guilty recently of not being part of their lives and I feel that I've lost touch with most of you guys.

In these tough days where I can't get back into my writing due to work pressures, I sometimes wonder, "even if I did, who the hell would read the crap". Then, I think of here and I could consider maybe one or two of you would. But then, life takes its toll and nothing gets produced (probably for the best!).

Sorry if this looks like the ranting of some mental simpleton. It's been a very long week and I think I need a rest......

It's just nice to think that the fire has been stoked, and soon, I can rest in that armchair and settle down!

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011 »

I think the NoTW stuff got people talking initially and now there are more conversations going on generally. It's interesting reading this last few days

Ravens, stop moaning, get writing! Wink  x

Strongest girl in the world

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011 »

I think the NoTW stuff got people talking initially and now there are more conversations going on generally. It's interesting reading this last few days

Ravens, stop moaning, get writing! Wink  x

What Claire said!   Roll Eyes Cheesy

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011 »

The last time I posted on here was Feb. this year, prior to that it was July 2010. Personal and  family circumstances have meant I have had very little free time. Despite this I have always considered myself one of the BF family members (after all I was one of the 'Billingham Babes'  Wink)
I did keep in touch with some members, a quick yoo hoo here and there, just to let them know I was still around and thinking about them and other buddies on the forum.

I'm conscious that I don't have a great deal to offer on a forum, I'm not a naturally chatty person, but I have always enjoyed taking part in conversations that interested me. I have found there are interesting and varied people on the forum who share a genuine warmth and respect for each other.

My Grandson Nathan now 13, has been nagging me for about two years to join Facebook - I resisted as I had already tried to manoeuvre it!! But I eventually gave in to his begging text...only because he's moved out of the immediate area  Cry 'and I can't pop round for a chat, coffee and scone Nan, at least I will be able to nudge you on your phone then we can link up.'   EH? yer going to do what to me?!  Shocked

So last night I brought myself back to life on Facebook, but I honestly prefer this forum. It's the first one I ever tried and I'm going to keep popping in regularly

Hello to all who know me from the not too distant past, those I've shared a glass of red with, and  those of you I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet...
see you all later
M xx

If you want to be happy... be.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011 »

So good to hear from you, Maria!!! I got your message and I'll see you at Harrogate next year. Large glass of red with a dash of coke is on me! Miss you loads xxx

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011 »

x's to you Maria xxx

helena
Serial Poster

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011 »

Here, here.  *Raises glass*.  Well said Mr B x

helena
Serial Poster

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2011 »

Loved your post, Maria, OMG, we HAVE to get our Billingham Babes t-shirts out again - I'll wear mine if you wear yours hahaha! x

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011 »

Lovely to hear from you again Maria, and I love your profile pic, what a lovely looking lady you are, and what's this "I WAS a Billingham Babe," business?  You'll ALWAYS be  BILLINGHAM BABE, as will al the other luscious ladies on the BTZ!!

I'm def ensuring that I shall be going to Harrogate next year, so as long as you're going, I'm sure that with as many BTZers making the effort to attend in 2012, it'll be not only great to finally meet up, but we can rule the roost. I'm thinking Mr. Billingham might even employ the BTZ contingent as his personal bodyguards!!!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

heavyd
Serial Poster

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011 »

I'll put my hand up and admit to not contributing to the forum as much as a "member" should.  Especially a member to such an interesting forum with great personalities and rich discussion.  I've only jumped on again recently because of Harrogate - I love the build up; but over the past year, up against every other demand in my life, the forum has been pushed down the list (just being honest). 

But I've missed it - and that little event that starts this Thursday reminds me of that - as I have met so many amazing people off this forum at the Festival.

So I'm going to be back here more often to help keep the BTZ forum thriving and buzzing, like a committed member should.

"Let me clear my throat." - DJ Kool

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print

Jump to: