About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Well, Summers' here and the time is right....  (Read 1228 times)
ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« on: June 07, 2011 »

Okay, it's been a while since I've started a new topic and it may not be correct for some of our regular BTZ'rs down in the South (not London, a bit further than that).

It's not that I think the apostrophe in waterstone's new logo shouldn't be there (or is actually in the wrong place! I mean, does the store belong to waterstone or waterstones??)

No, it's what are you lovely bunch doing over the summer season. It's a time when holidays are abundant, book sales go through the roof and strange old men have a requirement to hang out around beaches, nightclubs and clothes shops!

Personally, I'll be working (new project based around a certain Yorkshire town that people in the forum know quite well), so I'm going to live vicariously through all your lovely posts!

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011 »

Surprised to see this has been up for nine days and no one has replied!

This summer will see me and the girlfriend and a couple of friends going flying in ultralight gliders for the day, so it should be interesting. Never been in an ultralight, but I love flying when I get the chance to go flying (even though I won't be at the controls, but they said on the info website that you can take the controls for a brief time, so, COOL!) Would love to go up in a hot air balloon or a glider. One day.

And we'll be going to Folklarama, a festival that celebrates cultural diversity for two weeks in August. I went with my girlfriend last year for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn't get to all the pavillions (there were forty-six of them) but the ones we went to we enjoyed. (Especially the Scandinavian pavillion, where we stayed for a couple of hours; not for the food, displays, Scandinavian licorice [DO NOT EVER TRY IT! It's f*cking SALTY!], or to listen to Almost ABBA, but for this wonderful drink they had called Viking Power punch that is made from Akavit, a Danish liqueur, and mixed with fruit juices. My GF and I agreed that was one of the best drinks we had had at Folklarama. Hopefully we'll revisit some of the pavillions that we enjoyed and get to some that we couldn't get too. (www.folklorama.ca is the website if anyone wants to take a look.)

And there'll be the usual stuff: going to the beach, getting sunburned, nearly drowning (that was scary!), visits from people from faraway places, and last but not least, hopefully working, as I've been unemployed since the end of January when the store i was working at closed down. Didn't think I'd be out of work for so long. But staying positive about things. Something will come up.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 »

Thanks Beadnell, I was beginning to think my posts had wandered under a stealth field for a while.

Having lived through a very hungover session based upon Akavit, I'm surprised anyone looks forward to drinking it! LOL!

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011 »

You're welcome, Ravenscross.  Oh, but that stuff is goooood!  My GF got a bottle of Akavit that was in their discounted section a few weeks after Folklarama, so we were making our own version of the punch, but we only had the one bottle and we never went back to see if they had anymore.  Maybe this year we'll have to get two or more.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011 »

My diary is jam packed full of singing with choir, band concerts and work. 2 out of 3 ain't bad Smiley

Strongest girl in the world

helena
Serial Poster

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011 »

I'm Margaret, Helena asked me to let you know that her baby boy, Joseph Robert Stawicki, was born on Wednesday 15 June, 2011 and the funeral is gong to be Monday 20th - she went into cardiac arrest gave me her login sorry for the delay in letting you know, if you want to talk to her she mentioned a Carol and Simon who are friends?  t'll come through me, thanks, Margaret Reay.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011 »

So very sorry to read this, sending love xx

Strongest girl in the world

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011 »

So very sorry to read this, sending love xx

Likewise - please let Helena know she is in my thoughts. x

I'll see you in my dreams.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011 »

What a sad day. She's in my thoughts for today.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011 »

Thinking of you, Helena. So sorry.

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011 »

Really gutted to hear this, Helena...X

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

Sonia J
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011 »

So sorry H. big hugs.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011 »

So very sorry to hear your sad news Helena.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011 »

So very sad. Will be thinking of you, Helena, and little Joseph Robert xx

(Thank you, Margaret, for letting us know this sad news - wishing Helena peace at this sorrowful time)

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011 »

There are no words for something as heartbreaking as this. xxx

Pages: [1] 2
Print

Jump to: