About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What's next?  (Read 1250 times)
Bill Regis
New Blood

« on: January 27, 2011 »

When I'm through with Mark's books, what's another good (crime/detective or something similar) series to read?  Thanks.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 »

Have you read any of Michael Connelly's "Harry Bosch" books Bill?
Then there are Ian Rankin's "Rebus" stories and Peter James's "Roy Grace".

If you browse the various topics in the Crime Fiction and Beyond thread you will find many recommendations by other members. When I started compiling a lists of authors to try from there I came up with over 200.

Munster by the Grace of God.

tortoiseshell
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011 »

The BTZ recommendations are excellent, Bill. They crop up in various threads. Just keep your eyes peeled (?) and you will not get a bum steer.  T xx

If God had meant for me to touch my toes ten times every morning, he would have put diamonds in the floor.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011 »

John Connolly, George Pelacanos (sp), Lee Child, Simon Kernick, Kevn Wignall, just to be getting on with

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011 »

Michael Robotham, Steve Mosby, Martyn Waites

Strongest girl in the world

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011 »

Gosh, where to start.

A few years ago, before I started reviewing (and therefore exposing myself to a wide variety of good, great, and mediocre crime writers), I always said that Mark Billingham, James Lee Burke, and Michael Connelly were my top-of-the-tree 'go to' authors.

There were others that I thought were good, but a little below those three.

Those three are still at the top of the tree for me, but the branches are heavier with many others, including some that are right up there with them too...

If you like MB, then you should definitely read Michael Connelly, Jack Kerley, Michael Robotham, Paul Cleave, John Burdett, Val McDermid, Stuart MacBride, Craig Russell etc - they are similar to MB in terms of having that great but hard to achieve balance of great characters, good plot and storytelling, good setting and good dialogue (some other authors veer strongly in some of those directions while overlooking others)...

Read James Lee Burke too - he's a different type of writer to MB (more lyrical, more setting-focused, more social/environmental issues and literary allusions etc), but equally excellent in his own way.

Happy reading!

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011 »

Hi, Bill

If you like Brit Police Procedurals - try Peter James and Simon Kernick

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

Bill Regis
New Blood

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011 »

Wow, thanks for all those. 

Looks like I'll be all set in the future.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011 »

Oh, and Declan Hughes! And Alex Barclay!

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: