About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pack enough punch?  (Read 5406 times)
chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010 »

I would read on, it's gripping. xxx

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010 »

I would read on, it's gripping. xxx

Thankyou, ma'am! Let's hope a few agents see it that way too!  Wink

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010 »

I think i might go away and become an agent ya know, i'd have full books from the talent on here and we'd all be stinking rich  Cool Wink

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010 »

I think i might go away and become an agent ya know, i'd have full books from the talent on here and we'd all be stinking rich  Cool Wink

Grin Grin Grin  Like it!
( and yes please - DO go out and become an agent!!!)

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010 »

It would be the funniest agency ever, chelbel aka Neo (matrix fans)

Keep trying sweetheart and you'll get there x

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010 »

It would be the funniest agency ever, chelbel aka Neo (matrix fans)

Keep trying sweetheart and you'll get there x

Hmmm - now which pill was it - red or blue.....?

Rach_Irl
Repeat Offender

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010 »

I would def read on, u had my attention from the start and if u wouldnt i'd like some more please :-)

Even though for now we've got to say goodbye,
I know you will be forever in my life.

MattLeach
Repeat Offender

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010 »

I really liked the excerpt Susie. Hope its all going well for you. Hope also you don't find it too cheeky that I've posted something as well.

The slender, naked, figure of the dead girl had been posed stood up against a gnarly old tree, her arms raised straight above her head, a large blood spattered metal stake driven through her crossed wrists as support.
Conrad's comment of 'it being like a butcher had had her on his slab' was a gross understatement, the skin on her torso and abdomen hacked and mutilated beyond any recognition, now nothing more than a dark mess of blood and tissue. Her large breasts sliced away and left hanging limp by cartilage and sinew, looking more like fleshy wings as they hung at her sides.
Sands took a step closer, grimacing, his nostrils filling fast with the pungent stench. He bucked, the alcohol swilling in his system making a beeline for the air, but, breathing steadily, he avoided the embarrassment and kept it down.
The bottom half of the body was much the same, flesh torn away from the bone, the vaginal area seemingly taking most of the abuse, deep cuts making it almost unrecognisable.
Stopping a few feet short he held a hand to his face, almost afraid to breath. He didn't think it could get any worse, didn't think that the poor creature deserved any more punishment. But someone did.
Looking through the strands of dark hair that were slicked and trailing across her slashed face like tiny fingers, Sands spotted the ruined sockets which once housed her eyes, now black and vacant except for two small gold coins.

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

Rach_Irl
Repeat Offender

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010 »

I really liked the excerpt Susie. Hope its all going well for you. Hope also you don't find it too cheeky that I've posted something as well.

The slender, naked, figure of the dead girl had been posed stood up against a gnarly old tree, her arms raised straight above her head, a large blood spattered metal stake driven through her crossed wrists as support.
Conrad's comment of 'it being like a butcher had had her on his slab' was a gross understatement, the skin on her torso and abdomen hacked and mutilated beyond any recognition, now nothing more than a dark mess of blood and tissue. Her large breasts sliced away and left hanging limp by cartilage and sinew, looking more like fleshy wings as they hung at her sides.
Sands took a step closer, grimacing, his nostrils filling fast with the pungent stench. He bucked, the alcohol swilling in his system making a beeline for the air, but, breathing steadily, he avoided the embarrassment and kept it down.
The bottom half of the body was much the same, flesh torn away from the bone, the vaginal area seemingly taking most of the abuse, deep cuts making it almost unrecognisable.
Stopping a few feet short he held a hand to his face, almost afraid to breath. He didn't think it could get any worse, didn't think that the poor creature deserved any more punishment. But someone did.
Looking through the strands of dark hair that were slicked and trailing across her slashed face like tiny fingers, Sands spotted the ruined sockets which once housed her eyes, now black and vacant except for two small gold coins.

I like it, kinda reminds me of Chris Carters: The crucifix killer

Even though for now we've got to say goodbye,
I know you will be forever in my life.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010 »

Well done, Matt.

MattLeach
Repeat Offender

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010 »

Thank you guys, im about 30,000 words into the novel (which is going slowly!) just thought I'd share a little with you guys.

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010 »

Matt - grimly gory! But well written, too!

Keep going!!!  Wink

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010 »

I like it Matt.. Nice touch with the coins! I would definitely read on.

tortoiseshell
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010 »

Blood and guts always does it for me, Matt. Nicely written. Keep up the good work and let me know when I can buy a copy of the completed book.  T xx

If God had meant for me to touch my toes ten times every morning, he would have put diamonds in the floor.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: