About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Rejections  (Read 17682 times)
scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2010 »

The answer to that is simple Ronnie, send it on somewhere else Smiley

Strongest girl in the world

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2010 »

The answer to that is simple Ronnie, send it on somewhere else Smiley

Indeed.

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2010 »

Already have done Cheesy.

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010 »

DOMINO progress report - a rejection from Darley Anderson. C'est la vie - but, there are more submissions out there awaiting a response....    Onward and upward!

Not the first rejection I've had and certainly won't be the last - I'll take a leaf out of Dory's book (Finding Nemo) '....just keep swimming, just keep swimming...'

(or in this case - just keep writing.....!  Wink )

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010 »

I love your attitude, Susie, and I'll cross my fingers that your book is picked up soon.

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2010 »

Thanks Jayne! Grin

It's really very early days yet. If I end up with enough rejection slips to wallpaper the downstairs loo I might not be quite so chirpy, tho'!  Roll Eyes

(btw - enjoy Dublin - I really had a ball on my wee break there earlier this year......esp. the pubs and bars!  Tongue)

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2010 »

Keep going, Susie. We all dream of the `beckoning` finger. As hard as persistence and hardening one`s skin is, it will make it all the sweeter when you see the finger curling.

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2010 »

Thanks, Smudge!

To 'celebrate' I sorted out some more more email submissions.... Grin

(And of course, more work on the first of the sequels Wink )

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2010 »

Keep at it Susie

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2010 »

...and another one!

I wish they'd be a bit more constructive rather than the usual basic rejection.

Esp. as this latest one was from the very agent that had asked to see more!

I really don't think their standard ".....unfortunately the sheer volume of submissions..." quite cuts it - there must have been something that piqued their interest in the first place, so why can't they give me feedback, which is exactly what they assured me would happen with the extended submission, regardless of whether they took it on or not!

Oh well, still more out there - maybe Summer isn't a good time for submissions....?

Roll Eyes

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2010 »

Sorry to hear that, Susie, but you're one step closer to the "yes" - and you only need one of those! Smiley

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2010 »

keep your chin up Susie

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2010 »

keep your chin up Susie

.....should that be 'chins' after all the compensatory chocolate I've indulged in....?  Wink

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2010 »

Well, I have had a few now, and am looking through earmarking new "targets " to hit in the next month or so.

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2011 »

Yikes!! 36 rejections and counting. I wish that there was a checklist lit. Agencies could send back such as :-

1. Grammar and spelling not up to standard.
2. More editing required. (Too much padding)
3. Not a subject matter we would take on.
4. Standard of writing good, but subject not for us.
5. Good writing, but storyline too obvious.

They're just examples and I am sure that there are a zillion others people would like to include.

I just wish, as I am sure most of us here do that  we could have more constructive response. Surely a checklist in some form or other would not take too long at least we would have an idea if our writing is of a good enough quality to be published.

Does anyone know if writers who send in crinkled, stained and/or torn paperwork, bad spelling etc., get the same standard reply or are there different letters for different levels of rejection.

I have had friends read my synopsis  and first three chapters, they say they are good, but then I guess friends would says that, so it is difficult to know what to do.

Just keep plugging away I guess. I wonder if begging will work. I am beginning to understand why people resort to self publishing.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print

Jump to: