About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rugby Union  (Read 35045 times)
Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

How apt that 'Bandit' is an anagram of BT and I

« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2008 »

Not a good weekend for the Poms was it.

Got beaten in the Union, League and I think, cricket!

I won't mention it again - this week.

Yeah but...but...the Olympian cyclists and rowers and swimmers were all still polishing their medals...damn, even I'm not convinced.

Superstar Tradesman!

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2008 »

Phew! Pete won't be talking about the thrashing that SA gave us, nor being 4-0 in the best of seven series for our cricketers in India.

I did, however, mention the win for NZ in the Rugby League World Cup against Australia. (It was 34-20, btw, for those that don't know.)

I wish I'd had a few quid on NZ. Fancy being 6-1 in a two-horse race and actually winning! Smiley

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009 »

So, how is everyone's team doing this season? I'm just off to check on Leicester's progress. My "affiliation" dates back to when I was at the City of Leicester Polytechnic, which is now the De Montfort University, in the period 1978 - 1980.

I'll post about it after the first person to declare their hand, OK? Smiley

Grant H
Serial Poster

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009 »

I'm a Saracens man, red fez and all, having grown up opposite to their old ground near Cockfosters before they moved to Vicarage Road; they seem to be having a better season so far..

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009 »

OK, as promised, Grant, Leicester are in fifth on 32 points in the Guinness Premiership, with Grant's team one place and two points less well off.

Anyone else?

BTW, I heard on R5, natch, that Rugby could have more games played around Christmas time in future. Does anyone know if this is fact or fantasy? If it's fact, when will this start? Thanks! Smiley

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009 »

So, today sees the first of the RBS Six Nations games. Wales are the bookies' favourites.

Does anyone care to put the case for a different nation?

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009 »

Come on, Ireland!

tortoiseshell
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009 »

That's a tough one for me. I'm an English lass but I've been living in Scotland for nearly twelve years and on the whole, a little bit of racism aside, Scotland has been incredibly good to me and for me.

So if Scotland are playing, I support them. If England are playing, I support them. If Scotland are playing England however, the part of my brain that controls loyalty simply goes into meltdown.

What is a girl to do?  T xx

If God had meant for me to touch my toes ten times every morning, he would have put diamonds in the floor.

Grant H
Serial Poster

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009 »

No one really talking about France so maybe they will surprise us; they have a lot to prove right now just like England.

Nethers
Hardened Forum Fiend

Popping in occasionally

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2009 »

I feel like I just watched the wooden spoon playoff (England Italy) ... at least the Ireland France match was exciting - great play and Ronan O'Gara is pencilled in to replace Mr Nethers if he ever actually does run off with Seven-of-Nine from Star Trek.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009 »

I feel like I just watched the wooden spoon playoff (England Italy) ... at least the Ireland France match was exciting - great play and Ronan O'Gara is pencilled in to replace Mr Nethers if he ever actually does run off with Seven-of-Nine from Star Trek.

You could be right there, Nethers. To say that the scoreline was flattering is an understatement. I only managed to watch the second half, but the analysts on the BBC were condemnatory of England's lack of originality. I was more concerned about their lack of discipline, but the difference between England and Wales and all of the southern hemisphere teams is that England appear to play to avoid losing, whereas the others play to win.

Ireland's performance against the French, stopping a run of seven consecutive French wins in this particular fixture, was much more watchable. BO'D's try was worth the licence fee alone.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009 »

So, who's going to win this weekend's fixtures?

And does anyone care to wager on the margin of Wales' victory over what will undoubtedly be a shambolic, ill-disciplined English performance?

Grant H
Serial Poster

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009 »

The bookies are giving Wales a 2 try advantage, converted, at the final whistle... makes sense ! Even with the changes that England have bought in for this one, we still look very poor. So we cannot play cricket, football or rugby at the moment... any other sport ?

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2009 »

We're quite good at cycling in a velodrome, Grant! Smiley

I think I'd settle for that margin, as, IMHO, England will lose by more than that tomorrow.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2009 »

I was going to suggest we were getting better at sledging  Roll Eyes

Strongest girl in the world

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print

Jump to: