About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rugby Union  (Read 34890 times)
drewmark
Repeat Offender

« on: August 07, 2006 »

Okay, so everyone is talking about football.  Apparently it is a popular sport.  Dunno why. 
Anyway, the Rugby Union season will soon be starting proper so there is hope of decent sport in the autumn.  Being a Brummie I support Moseley (promoted back into Division 1) but also like to see Worcester Warriors do well (it's only 20 miles to their ground). 
So my question is this - are there any other people out there who enjoy Union?
And what about the Elite Squad?  Right choices?  Once again, I can't believe that Ollie Smith is excluded.

The voices told me to do it

NorthernLight
Repeat Offender

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006 »

I can honestly say I have never seen a rugby match (or is it game)

A kiss is an upper persuasion for a lower invasion

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006 »

I grew up in Bath, and in (I think) the late '80s/early '90s Bath were the Man Utd of Rugby Union.  I've never seen a rugby match, being a devotee of the round ball game. 

I hate the fact that the rugby club have been allowed to build stands etc on the Recreation Ground (which was meant to be for the whole city to use for recreational purposes, not just a bunch of jumped up egg chasers).  They also lease this ground on a really low rent, whilst the football club almost went out of existence some years back, and did the local Council offer to help out?  Like hell they did!  Angry

Anyway, that just about sums up what Bath is like - full of snobs who are totally up their own arses.  Roll Eyes

Nothing personal DrewMark - glad you enjoy your sport, and I hope that Moseley or Worcester Warriors give Bath a good tonking when their paths cross!  Grin

Maybe this belongs on "What makes me angry"?

I'll see you in my dreams.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006 »

I started watching Rugby recently with my buddy.  Dont know much about it but by the end of the match i was screaming my head off.  And theres lots n lots of men to look at..

NorthernLight
Repeat Offender

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006 »

I started watching Rugby recently with my buddy.  Dont know much about it but by the end of the match i was screaming my head off.  And theres lots n lots of men to look at..

hmmm maybe I should start watching rugby Wink

A kiss is an upper persuasion for a lower invasion

rockrebel
Hardened Forum Fiend

la merde se produit

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006 »

hmmm maybe I should start watching rugby Wink

Watch rugby league. It's much faster and more exciting

rock & roll will never die

drewmark
Repeat Offender

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006 »

Watch rugby league. It's much faster and more exciting
[/quote]

I used to live in Leeds so watched alot of League - Leeds Rhinos.  It's great at club level because of big crowds, and it is much faster.  But at international level it is tiny - you get as many people at club games as internationals.  But for all that - GO RHINOS. 
I grew up getting pummeled in Union, which is why I prefer it.  It is complex - lots of rules - but once you understand it a bit it is great.  Many of my female friends have been converted to the sport - not due to the skill or elegance but rather because they like the big muscular men in shorts.  Can't imagine why.   Shocked

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006 »

To be honest,twould be Ireland id support,or whatever the name of the irish team is...(shows how much i know)..  Is it the springbocs for south africa? Im gonna go dye my hair blonde any time soon!
I do know that your missing out NOTHERN LIGHTS.. Its definatly worth watching..ahem

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006 »

i myself prefer league to union nut dont get me started

Too dumb for science? Try religion!

drewmark
Repeat Offender

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006 »

There are a couple of players in League that I would love to see switch to Union.  The main ones are Chev Walker and Kevin Sinfield of Leeds Rhinos (would make a great winger and fly half respectively) and Kris Radlinski of Wigan Warriors - well, they're going down anyway and he is only on a short-term contract after temporary retirement, so now is a good time for him to switch.  But many can't adapt to the different codes - the best ever was probably Jonathan Davies of Wales who was inspirational in both codes.  Jason Robinson was also great in both codes.  But Iestyn Harris and Henry Paul?  Not so good.  Thankfully though both games have changed a great deal over the years - before the introduction of the 6-tackle rule to League you would often see one team with the ball for 25 minutes or more.  It was grindingly slow and dull.  The 6-tackle rule completely reinvented the game and made it the fast and exciting sport that it is today.  Union has also undergone a lot of changes - who would want to return to the kicking game of the '80s.  But when I think of games like Wales vs New Zealand in the 2003 World Cup, there really is no better sport around than Union.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007 »

Even with all the luck in the world, I don't think England stand a chance of winning against Ireland tomorrow. Come 7.15, Betty, Chelbel and Jayne will be lording it (or should that be ladying it) over the English.  Sad
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007 by Jayne » Logged

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007 »

Come on you boys in green! Grin

I'll see you in my dreams.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007 »

Yay!!!!

COME ON IRELAND!

Betty, I hope you realise you now have THREE sports to follow! Football, cricket and now rugby. I blame Kevin.  Tongue

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007 »

Come on you boys in green! Grin

A lurking Ireland fan!

Yay!!!!

COME ON IRELAND!

Betty, I hope you realise you now have THREE sports to follow! Football, cricket and now rugby. I blame KevinTongue

As you well know, I've got broad shooulders at times, Jayne.  Wink

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007 »

Even with all the luck in the world, I don't think England stand a chance of winning against Ireland tomorrow. Come 7.15, Betty, Chelbel and Jayne will be lording it (or should that be ladying it) over the English.  Sad

What did I tell you?Huh I didn't see the whole game, but apart from a 10-minute spell early in the second half, Ireland dominated the whole game.

Well played Ireland!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print

Jump to: