About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Print
Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 52141 times)
tortoiseshell
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #360 on: March 31, 2011 »

Good luck with it, Nubs. And to anyone else I've missed.  T xx

If God had meant for me to touch my toes ten times every morning, he would have put diamonds in the floor.

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2011 »

Keep at it Nubs. I am still working on novel  number two. Had an e-mail rejection for submission for novel number one yesterday. I think it must be a record. I e-mailed the submission in the middle of November 2010. I don't think I have ever had one take that long before. Oh well more literary agencies to send to. Be warned lit agents its coming to you soon. Back to the grindstone I go.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2011 »

Good luck, everyone!

I'm still waiting to hear back from a publisher, after sending in three chapters and a synopsis. Gingers crossed!

Susie-J
Serial Poster

« Reply #363 on: April 01, 2011 »

Keep going, everyone! (cheering from the sidelines!!!)

Meanwhile, I've been busy getting ready fro a blog challenge called 'A-Z for April' - this requires a daily post, Monday-Saturday right through April, which equals 26 entires, one for each letter of the alphabet.

Today I started with 'A is for ..... Authors', but tomorrow we move on to -

'B is for ....Billingham' ! A gentle plug the Guv, and a snippet of TV Thorne !  Wink

http://bit.ly/hZhkWJ

'Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!' Groucho Marx

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #364 on: April 02, 2011 »

Zigster, Jayne, Susie J... and all of my fellow BTZ writer chums... may each and everyone of you and your literary projects go far into the vestiges of success with lit agents/publishers alike.

I thank each and every BTZer that has been following one another's asperations of becoming published, as well as my own. Yes I am still plodding on... still waiting for that elusive acceptance slip etc., and equally dreading the return of my material. Hopefully though this time the rejection might be somewhat more constructive and help me learn what needs to be done to improve its chances!!

Buckle down everybody, believe in yourselves, I know I does, and don't allow the vagaries of doubt to force you into giving up... it'll happen... one day...it'll happen.

Perseverance is the name of the game!  Or is it Persistence?  Or both  Roll Eyes Grin Wink

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #365 on: April 12, 2011 »

Along with all my usual work and writing, I am currently working on a 1500wd feature on Michael Connelly (based on an interview last month) for one of NZ's biggest magazines...

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #366 on: May 03, 2011 »

Still slowly working on the Gurr Novels. Gurr is turning out to be a bit of a well intentioned prat though - decided that the only wat to solve a couple of plot holes is to have him biting off more than he can chew, and ending up nearly screwing everything up - a character to acts firsts and thinks later, and usually what he thinks is "Oh Shi... I don't think I should have done that"

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2011 »

As yesterday brought with it, an email enquiring into how my entry to www.thenextbigauthor.com was going, I hung my head in despair. The only writing I'm managing to get done recently entails the documentation of how to build a virtual sales system or the complexity of Business Intellegence cubes. I had felt that I'd let down my love of writing, my requirement to express myself and, most of all, those that seem to enjoy my vomit of creativity.

Last night was a torment of sleep, ideas falling through my head, trying to gain a grasp against the sliding mucus of technical crap that layers the creativity. Many times, I startled into an awaken state, only to wonder where the idea had vanished to and how can I make a Powerpoint presentation for someone else, exciting.

Until, in the early dawn hours, something stuck. A tiny concept that hadn't even been a seed of an idea in the past. The concept started to grow and the wonderful perception of my imagination massaged the idea into a fully fledged storyline. My fingers now ache to be hidden in a little corner of the office and start writing those first lines. To wrap around the dough of storyline and blossom it into a loaf, ready for the filling of action and adventure, and then to be laid out as a buffet for all those ready and filling to for a new Cross story......

Are you ready for the picnic?

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2011 »

Do it! Smiley

Strongest girl in the world

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2011 »

Let`s have it, Chris.

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2011 »

YES!!!

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2011 »

It's actually going remarkably well. I've wandered back down the darkened streets of my old home town for this story, and bringing those back streets of Lancaster onto the digital paper is working little bits of magic. And the chase sequence I've got planned for Williamson's Park is just amazing...

I won't give too much away, but here's a little view behind the eyes of the killer. They choose the next victim by the means of a contact list, a sat nav app and the roll of a dice.

Hi tech and old school create the new rules.

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2012 »

Well as previously posted on FB and on the BTZ... I have finished The Tip Of The Iceberg and resubmitted it to Amazon whether wisely or not!!!
   I am currently trying to finalise and then edit profusely the 2nd DCI LOmax novel 'Witness', making absolutely certain to remove the silly mistakes that will surely be mixed up in it.

I have recently begun a standalone story 'The Trouble Shooter' which shall I feel be highly  controversial... set in modern day but with occasional flash backs to WWII. It deals with my theory that during WWII companies brought in by Winnie to supply the parts and build the ships planes tanks vehicles weapons and ammo, soon learned what a lucrative way to extort the Government/taxpayer/treasury etc and make tons of money out of war - basically war profiteering on a relatively 'small' scale.
  The flashbacks will be infrequent but I hope poignant to the plot and flow of the story.  Throughout the story I intend not to disclose the actual identity of the main character 'The Trouble Shooter' as I'm undecided whether to make it a he or a she!! Thus keeping the mystery contained within the story. But, it is intended to be a damning exposure of what I perceive as the corruptable current Government and those MP's who albeit 'fictional' characters, are deeply embroiled in some very shady nefarious business deals with the modern companies that are still doing what was going on/began during The War... (DON'T mention The War! ! !)   Grin Shocked

Crikey... do I know exactly what I'm letting myself in for???  Nah, and I don't really care... the way this country's being ripped a new butt hole by those running it, I would hope if this ever got published, it would shake more than a few berries of the tree!!!   Wink Roll Eyes Grin

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2012 »

Ravens -sounds fab! I didn't know you were from Lancaster

Good luck Nubs

Strongest girl in the world

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2012 »

Yep - best of luck, Nubs!