About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: A Couple of Things...  (Read 4504 times)
Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006 »

Jayne in pj's. Hmmmm. Excuse me, I have to go, erm... make dinner, yes, that's it, I'm off to make dinner, by myself, in the bathroom...... erm... Bye!

Voyager!! Shocked  Really... and there's me thinkin' I'm a bad Lech!  Wink I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks... erm, wait a minute... I'd better stop this train of thought, otherwise Jayne and the other ladies will form a vigilante group and come charging after me and all the other blokes! 
  Shovel, shovel... dig, dig... I'm just digging a really deep hole to jump into!!  Undecided Grin

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006 »

Hi PJ welcome back - any news?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006 »

I'm blushing... Embarrassed 

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006 »

Jayne you simply cannot go anywhere without accumulating admirers!  Wink

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006 »

Smiley

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006 »

Bless ya, Smudge!

I'm not sure about the "headmistress" bit, Chelbel - I'm sitting here in my jimjams at the moment! Smiley

Talking of Jimjams......

When my then girlfriend and I bought our first home, an ancient cottage, it had no central heating at all. We bought it during the summer and didn’t realise it would be as cold as it turned out to be.
During the winter it really was colder than an Eskimo’s arse in a snowstorm. The only bonus was that we didn’t need a freezer; we simply stocked all our frozen goods in the spare bedroom, as there was no risk of anything ever thawing out.
I mentioned this to my mum and she suggested I take a pair of my Dad’s pygamas as he had, “Got a lovely new pair from Marks and Spencer’s for Christmas.” Rather than offend her I did take them, never for a moment considering I would ever wear them. And what a pair of jimjams they were. If you can imagine the uniforms worn by the crew of Star Trek you wouldn’t be too far off, though the trousers, bizarrely, had flares wider than Popeye’s bell-bottoms. Most striking, however, was the garish colour design: vertical zigzagged blue, red and white stripes. They were made of thick nylon, so you risked a minor static electric shock every time you went near them. I think my mum had offered them to the local charity shop but they’d politely but firmly declined to take them on the grounds of taste.

A couple of weeks later my girlfriend and her chums had a girls’ night out so I was left in on my own. This was the icy winter of 1982 and this night was particularly cold. Rather than sit there freezing in my bathrobe I thought, what the hell, I’ll wear the aforementioned jimjams. It wasn’t as if anyone would see me. Or so I thought.

I heard my girlfriend arrive home a few hours later and got up to meet her. But she was not alone. Unknown to me she’d invited three of her tipsy friends back to our industrial freezer-like home for a drink. One of her mates, Dawn, took an incredulous look at me in my jimmies and proceeded to laugh so long and hard her face was beginning to turn blue through lack of air and I suspected she was about to have a seizure. I was almost on the verge of calling an ambulance to give her oxygen. Dawn later told me I looked like a six -foot long length of toothpaste. As for me, I simply stood there, slumped, deflated, lost for words, almost weeping with embarrassment and humiliation. At least I was no longer cold as I burned with shame. That took some living down, believe me.

Life can be so cruel.

Ever since that evening I’ve never worn pygamas, and never will. The memory of that night still burns me like a red-hot poker. There’s more chance of Vanessa Feltz living on salads for a month than me ever wearing jimjams again.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006 »

What a lovely picture you paint CCR I'm giggling like the tipsy visitor here to myself - wonderful Cheesy

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006 »

But can you still look the girl in the eye, CCR?  Cheesy

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2006 »

First the whats-his-name the crab story, now the sexy pj's, what's next, ccr?

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

rockrebel
Hardened Forum Fiend

la merde se produit

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2006 »

Dawn later told me I looked like a six -foot long length of toothpaste.

Was it Col(d)gate ? Did those pyjamas give you a ring of confidence ?

Cheesy

rock & roll will never die

sheila quigley
Serial Poster

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2006 »

well done rock rebel

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2006 »

RR back on form! Smiley - what am I saying? Did it ever go away?

One of my ex's is a 6'5" big hairy Hells Angel's type - he and his girlfriend were asleep in bed one night when there was a loud, Old Bill-type banging on the front door. He got up, somewhat the worse for drink and temper, pulled on a dressing gown and answered the door - and was thrown to the ground and cuffed by two burly policemen.

To cut a long story short, a car he had recently part-exchanged had been used in an armed robbery, and the dealer hadn't bothered to change the log book as he sold it on almost immediately. All sorted out, cuffs undone, apologies all round...though the police did seem to to smiling at him more than seemed necessary.

Graham closed the door behind them and caught sight of himself in the mirror - he'd pulled his wife's dressing gown on in his haste which was pink with blue fluffy bunnies on it - and had a pink scrunchie in his very long hair!

Oh how we laughed!

I'm a S-k-g....

Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: