About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New Authors  (Read 1766 times)
Jason71
Repeat Offender

« on: June 16, 2006 »

Debut crime authors. What has happened this year.The only decent debut that i have seen/read this year is Nick Stone's Mr Clarinet. What is going on in the publishing industry?

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006 »

Hi there, I could be completely wrong, but I think the problem is getting published. As a first time  crime novelist I am finding it hard to get any lit agencies to take any interest. Perhaps my writing is really bad who knows. I think it is hit and miss. I am sure there are a lot of unpublished author's out tthere who are producing great stories, but getting anyone to take an interest is very difficult. So I think this may be part of the problem. One crime authors I e-mailed said they had over 300 rejections before they got they book published. I am sure a lot of other people would have given up before the 300th time. I wonder if I can beat this incredible number I am sure I can. Probably be 500. rejects for me. Only on number 7 at present.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006 »

Declan Hughes - The Wrong Kind of Blood- is a debut crime novel and very good.  Alex Barkley also has her first book out which for the life of me I can't remember the title - it was also a very good book

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006 »

Alex's book is Darkhouse. Good luck with your novel Zigster - it's early days yet so don't give up!

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006 »

Hi Zigster I meant to say good luck too and welcome to the forum 

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Chollins
Repeat Offender

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006 »

Haven't read or even bought (yet) The Devil's Star, a debut novel by Jo Nesbo but love the name of the detective - Harry Hole!

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006 »

Hi there, I could be completely wrong, but I think the problem is getting published. As a first time  crime novelist I am finding it hard to get any lit agencies to take any interest. Perhaps my writing is really bad who knows. I think it is hit and miss. I am sure there are a lot of unpublished author's out tthere who are producing great stories, but getting anyone to take an interest is very difficult. So I think this may be part of the problem. One crime authors I e-mailed said they had over 300 rejections before they got they book published. I am sure a lot of other people would have given up before the 300th time. I wonder if I can beat this incredible number I am sure I can. Probably be 500. rejects for me. Only on number 7 at present.

Hey Zigster, who knows maybe next year we'l all be raving on about your book here?

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006 »

Thanks to Jayne, Chelbel and Betty for your good thoughts. Don't worry I don't give up that easily, much to the lit. agencies and publishers chagrin. I do really feel sorry for people reading submissions all day though, perhaps they do it on a rota system. It must get quite demoralising for them sometimes, until they come acroos something that sparks an interest.

I did not realise there were so many books out there that I have not written and so many authors I have not heard of who sounds like they write really good novels. I have got quite list of books to buy now. yikes.

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006 »

I had that problem when I first started here too.  I ended up with a huge stack of books from the library because I just reserved them all without thinking and they all came in at once.  Fortunately the librarians at my library are used to my insanity.  I'm still behind though.

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006 »

Norby,

I know that feeling. I might have to start storing them in the loft or the shed. Yikes so much to read and so little time.

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006 »

No kidding-I have roughly three weeks until school starts and then pesky homework and work get in the way again!  Damn-I need an unknown independently wealthy relative to suddenly die and leave me all of his money.  Does that really ever happen you think?

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: