About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Author Topic: So how many of us here are actually writers as well as readers??!!  (Read 37576 times)
ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2007 »

Just thought I'd mention some writing software I can wholeheartedly recommend. Some of you writers might want to test drive the demos and have a play, see what you think. I use the first two: WIN for novels/short stories. SOPHOCLES for screenplays. I'd NEVER go back to a standard Word Processor.

WRITE IT NOW (excellent novel/short story writing software). Allows you to organise all stages of the writing 'under one roof' - characters, events, notes, chapters etc. And quite cheap too at 20: http://www.ravensheadservices.com/

SOPHOCLES (for screenplays): Cheaper and better than FINAL DRAFT and the rest in my view, this takes the headache out of organising and formatting. Around 60: http://www.sophocles.net/

And if you're on a tight budget, there's a screenwriting program that has just been made FREE: PAGE 2 STAGE: http://www.page2stage.com/
And finally there's CELTX, also free: http://www.celtx.com/

Of course, none of the above will write it for you, so don't expect that. They just make the actual process a little bit easier so you can concentrate on being creative!

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2007 »

Max - no need to apologise my friend.  Being made aware of this scheme is of immense help to me for a future date, (as in, when I've got a job!!) I shall look into it probably next year.

Chris H... Thanks for those demo's... I shall look into them to see what they're like...  hhhmmm... that 'Ravensheadservices' one sounds suspiciously familiar!!  what say you?   Roll Eyes Shocked Wink

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2007 »

Nubs,
With all that playwriting you do, I'm sure you'd find the screenwriting programs a big help (eg: no need to keep having to type out character names every time when writing dialogue, to name but one). As you're on a tight budget give Celtx or Page 2 Stage a try as they're completely FREE.

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2007 »

Nubs,
With all that playwriting you do, I'm sure you'd find the screenwriting programs a big help (eg: no need to keep having to type out character names every time when writing dialogue, to name but one). As you're on a tight budget give Celtx or Page 2 Stage a try as they're completely FREE.

Ah-ha... so my eyes being rather squinty must make it obvious that my finances are stretched... I need a crowbar to jemmy open my wallet most of the time... hehehe! and no my middle name isn't Ebeneezer  Shocked Roll Eyes Wink 

Cheers Chris, I've downloaded Celtx, but Page 2 Stage is proving a bugger as I've had trouble with WinRar files before, but I'll give it another try tomorrow, I know I have to download a specific type of program anyway, once I find it.

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2007 »

Some of my articles have been published on a website called zombie world news

ive only submitted three so far but check them out if you get chance i'd love your feedback

Too dumb for science? Try religion!

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2007 »

Im sitting down to write my Crime book

Any usefall websites for research purposes would be appreciated

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2007 »

Do you really want some?

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #232 on: December 27, 2007 »

Having just finished watching the Christmas Extras, it made me think of this topic. Just how many of us writers in the group are wanting to have their writing appreciated and loved, or are wondering just how much that 15% to the agents is going to mean?

As with anything, there are two sides to the coin. I look upon my own life and see that, on the one side, I'm looked upon as an IT genius, fixing problems almost at the wave of a fist, which also means that I'm painted with the geek emulsion that goes with that ability. I so wish that it didn't (I don't perceive myself as living in that camp).

But then, are writers looked upon the same. Do some have the style and wit to be unique in the writing that only a few gaze upon the words, and do some stress that the books need to have reviews in every magazine possible, that they should be appearing in the pages of the Times supplement and people should know who they are when they see them at certain do's around the year. And really, who should we be reading more?

I know this may not be the right place to post this, but I wanted to raise the question....

If you could be a successful writer, would you prefer to be loved by the few, penniless and producing classics over a length of time... or would you want to be part of the mass market media, read by millions, loved by thousands, but only admired by few?

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #233 on: December 28, 2007 »

I think that only the love of the mass market media would do for me.

I'm incredibly insecure in everything I do, and my books would need to be loved by thousands before I could remotely convince myself that my writing was worthwhile.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2007 »

As Sting once said about music, 'Music is it's own reward'.

I feel a bit like that about writing. I read so much, I'm so completely stunned and speechless with admiration for these wonderful, magical people who conjure up plots, stories, characters and indeed, whole worlds, seemingly from nowhere and present them in a form which fits in our pockets.

A well turned phrase with stay with me forever. (today's favourite, by the much meandering Stephen Fry in his autobiography - 'I am straying far from my sheep')

I know that if I tried forever, I could never write anything that would stand next to any of my heroes - if I could end up in the same postcode, I'd be happy.

For me it wouldn't be a case of as classic or two versus mass adoration - if I could write something I thought was worthy, that would be enough for me. Not sure I'd have the bottle to show anyone else anyway - but I don't think I'd care, if I was proud of it.

I'm a S-k-g....

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2007 »

Do you really want some?

yes much advice as possible is very appreciated

PracticeJack
Hardened Forum Fiend

Bazinga

« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2008 »

Ok what ive got so far

A quick summary

Its set some stage in the not too distant future in a london thats flooded out by global warming etc etc its a very low tech cyber punky type book

For unknown resaons a guy travels back in time starting on the day he is due to get executed for a murder he doesnt remember commiting

Starting on the day of his execution. He lives his life in reverse until he gets to the day of the crime.

THERES A BIG TWIST IN IT WHICH I CANT SAY OBVIOUSLY CUZ IT WOULD SPOIL IT..

Im two chapters into it now.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #237 on: January 08, 2008 »

Sadly, I think I've read this one.

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #238 on: January 08, 2008 »

C`mon Chris. Tell us the twist!

PracticeJack