About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: So how many of us here are actually writers as well as readers??!!  (Read 37507 times)
ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006 »

Paul,

Thanks for sending me "Redemption". Shall read it as soon as I can and let you know what I think. Good luck with the writing and the website!

Chris

NickQ
Repeat Offender

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006 »

If you'd like to take a look, i've finally got a website up and running at:

www.hullcrimefiction.co.uk

NickQ
Repeat Offender

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006 »

Ta! Sadly, I can't claim the credit for actually building the site. I threw a load of ideas at a friend and he made it happen.

I'm well happy with the results though.

darkdoug
Repeat Offender

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006 »

Me.  I've mostly written poetry (three books), and two plays, one memoir, lots of journalism.  I'm writing my first crime fiction novel and loving it.  I'm learn my craft from reading Billingham and others. 

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006 »

Good luck with your novel, Doug... and welcome on board. Smiley

darkdoug
Repeat Offender

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006 »

Thank you.

darkdoug
Repeat Offender

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006 »

Here is a website for a sample of my memoir:

http://www.pshares.org/issues/article.cfm?prmarticleID=8171

Cheers, DD

NorthernLight
Repeat Offender

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006 »

I'm not a writer in any way sence or form :-) But I love to read!

A kiss is an upper persuasion for a lower invasion

NorthernLight
Repeat Offender

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006 »

very true  Wink

A kiss is an upper persuasion for a lower invasion

Natalie
New Blood

Always busy!

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006 »

Do any of you live in Spain?  Nata

Natalie
New Blood

Always busy!

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006 »

Nikki do you have a site of your own? Nat

Nikki
Serial Poster

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006 »

Nikki do you have a site of your own? Nat

Hiya!  Nope, I don't have a site of my own :-(  lol

stillwater1
New Blood

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007 »

Hi, I know this is an old thread but as a relative newbie, I thought it'd be a good introduction. I've been writing since I was twelve, so I've a good 23 years of words under my belt. Initially it was in the horror genre but around the year 2000, I graduated to crime (as it were). Over the past 15 years I've had short fiction placed in numerous anthologies and magazines, the pinnacle of which, I suppose, would be a story called Leaving Seven Sisters, which was nominated for the CWA Dagger for short fiction. And this year, a co-authored story, Lost in Darkness was reprinted in The Best British Mysteries IV (which was momentus for being my first story in a hardcover (we take the milestones where we can find them...).
I've been battling away at my novel for about four years now after some interest from Mo Hayder's agent, and, thank christ, I'm finally starting to see the end in sight.
I think the main problem for first time crime writers is the research angle; I'm kind of reluctant to waltz into the local police station for pointers on various research elements, so it's a time consuming process just breaking down various plotlines.
As I'm new to the forum, I haven't looked to see if there's a thread for us to share research problems around between us, and if not, would it be a good idea.
Sorry for the length of the post folks!

“Poetry is just the evidence of life.
If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.”

http://stillwater1.livejournal.com/
http://www.myspace.com/12807996

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007 »

Actually, that a relatively good point. Just how do you get research into something thats not first nature to you. Do you just wander into the local station and ask 'How would I get away with murder, just for a little while'. Horror seems to be a good place to start because you just make up what scares you, however, if you go into the realms of psychology, where do you get that from.
'Hello, Mr Psychologist. Can you please tell me what  you would recommend to treat extreme night terrors that actually manifest themselves as physical enities with superhuman powers?'
'Certainly, stop eating smarties'

stillwater1
New Blood

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007 »

I do vaguely remember a story Ian Rankin told about wandering into a police station in his early days for research, and after asking them some questions, they started to suspect him of an outstanding crime in the area...
It puts you off a bit, doesn't it?

“Poetry is just the evidence of life.
If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.”

http://stillwater1.livejournal.com/
http://www.myspace.com/12807996

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print

Jump to: