About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: So how many of us here are actually writers as well as readers??!!  (Read 37569 times)
Nikki
Serial Poster

« on: June 08, 2006 »

How many of us forumites are writers as well as readers??

I am.....

If you are to 'BUMP' this thread and give us your story!  Lol!  (not literally your story you understand....!)

I have been writing since I was 4 years old - it has always been my passion.  When I was 4 I would tell my 2 year old brother a story every night before bed - he didn't want a story read to him, he wanted MY stories.

When I was about 6 I started 'making' my own books - I would write them, illustrate them and find a way to bind them.

I have always wanted to write, have always done writing, and when at school wanted to be a journalist.

Then I met my future fiance and father of my child....

We separated after 7 years and I work in a lawyers office - instead of going on to uni to study and qualify for journalism. 

But what has stayed is my love of both reading and WRITING!!

I have had a true story published in Chat, an article in the local paper and various fillers.

But what I REALLY want published is crime novels.  This is what I read, and this is what I write.

Anyone else want to share their stories?

Oh - don't foget to BUMP the thread if you are a writer!!  Hehe!!

BUMP!

Grin Wink Tongue Kiss

Bridgid O.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006 »

I dabble, but am now getting more serious.
I mainly write fiction, crime/suspense, and poetry.
Perhaps, one day, I'll try to get published. Right now, I practicing, perfecting and finding it cheaper than therapy!

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006 »

As I'm sure many of you already know I'm a wannabe writer.

It started about 2 years ago, there was a short story competition in the local newspaper.  I thought it would be a cool idea, so I wrote.  I didn't win, but I caught the bug. 

Following that I enrolled on an Open University Creative Writing course to get a grip on the technical aspects of writing.  I learned a lot (and "met" some very very wonderful people), but by talking to others that write and practicing on my own I've learned even more.

I've now completed two full crime novels, three (10k) short stories, countless (under 5k) shorts.  I'm currently juggling 3 new novels: one is a brand new not-part-of-the-series definiate (about a quarter of the way done), one is a maybe (a real-time hostage situation, that is taking a LOT more planning than I anticipated) and the other is more an idea and an opening chapter (a continuation of the series).

I completed the annual worldwide NaNoWriMo Challenge last November - where each participant must complete a 50k novel in a month.  A very liberating experience.  I am planning on taking the challenge again this year.

I have a website, http://www.piczo.com/the-story-teller (shameless plug... sorry); it's still under construction but it's getting there.

I'm currently looking to get my work out to as many publishers and agents as will listen to me. 

So there we have it...

BUMP

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006 »

Well I'm a wannabe also.   Roll Eyes Like Nikki I've been writing, scribbling, dabbling since I was 7.  I've had a few short stories published over the years and when I belonged to a writers group we used to publish our own book practically every year - and we have a web site were some of our stuff is published - can't remember the site off hand - will look it up.  I write children's and crime and would love to be successfull at it.

My granddaughter who is 4 is ''writing'' her stories now and loves me to tell her stories from 'my mouth'   Cheesy

BUMP

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006 »

I used to write poetry when I was younger (much younger in fact).

I love the written word, either mine or other people's.  I have written articles for football fanzines, and I write golf reports for my son, which the local newspaper publishes, totally unedited, with no credit given!

Although I love reading crime fiction, I don't think I could write in that genre.  I couldn't face the thought of all that research on police procedures etc, and there are so many people out there (or soon to be published), who already do it so brilliantly.

I have ideas of writing a book about a 40 something woman, re-finding her inner self and making her own way in the world after her marriage came to a sudden end - it would be a real roller-coaster ride (no research needed - I'm lazy!).  I expect that somebody has already done it (and maybe it would just be depressing and boring).

I'll see you in my dreams.

Gary ashton
New Blood

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006 »

I can't really class myself as a writer although I do provide written  reviews of  Rock Gigs for the Classic Rock Society bi-Monthly magazine.

I class that as a labour of love !

Have also provide some reports on Cricket Matches for my Local Daily Newspaper.

Another Labour of Love !!

Would love to be a writer but just could not undertake the required research !

Gary   Smiley

Nikki
Serial Poster

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006 »

Gary - you are a WRITER!!  If you do writing of any sort then you are a writer, and it seems yours is from the journalistic angle - still a writer!!

BUMP

Gary ashton
New Blood

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006 »

Thanks Nikki  !!

Gary  Smiley

annie
Serial Poster

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006 »

I have a website, http://www.piczo.com/the-story-teller (shameless plug... sorry); it's still under construction but it's getting there.

you plug away i admire your motivation im great with ideas hopeless at doing anything about them
[/quote]

annie
Serial Poster

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006 »

oops copied that wrong sorry sammonspr im not pinching your quotes just replying

NickQ
Repeat Offender

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006 »

I'm also an aspiring crime fiction writer (it's like Crime Writers Anonymous!).

I've been writing seriously for about nine months and have completed a couple of lengthy short stories (15k) and a fair few short pieces. Most of the stories feature my two fictional detectives, DS Coleman and DC Maynard, and they're all set in my home city of Hull. So far, i've been fortunate enough to win a HarperCollins short story competition and i've been featured in the local press.

My plan is to improve by writing longer pieces each time (the curent one will be around 30k), as I build up to a full novel. This way I hope to both retain the necessary motivation and polish my skills as I go along.

If you want to read some stories, I have a webpage here:
www.myspace.com/hullcrimefiction

Best of luck to everybody!
Nick

annie
Serial Poster

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006 »

I'm also an aspiring crime fiction writer (it's like Crime Writers Anonymous!).

im sure theres a twelve step programme around somewhere for that type of thing

annie
Serial Poster

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006 »

whats wrong with this quote thing why cant i get it right think i need blondes anonymous

vickin
New Blood

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006 »

I'm not a crime writer, or any other sort of writer. In fact I avoid writting whenever I can - got me in trouble at work a few times though being a nurse and all! Anyway, love reading with a passion and thank you for the links, will be looking at them when I have days off. More please!

it's good to be back!

ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006 »

I am too! (the brief answer, for now). My writer's website is here: http://clix.to/chrisharveywebsite. More about me there and details of my book of short stories I've just published, GRIM RENDEZVOUS.

Chris

P.S. IT'S JUST TOO HOT!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print

Jump to: