About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 245
Print
Author Topic: So can we talk about football here?  (Read 371107 times)
John R
New Blood

Filthy Monkey

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006 »

Part of me wants to celebrate the fact that Aliadiere has joined.

And yet part of me doesn't think he's going to add much to our (admittedly sketchy) striking options. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and be fantastically consistent and a natural finisher... but I don't see it. But then that may just be the natural fear of the seemingly inevitable February Run Of Bad Form talking.

All about the monkey love.

NickQ
Repeat Offender

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006 »

As this is turning into a Championship debate, i'd like to warn the Wolverhampton (and even Leeds...) contingent that the tigers of Hull City will be roaring when you visit the KC later this year. Well, I say roaring, more like whimpering...

Up the tigers!

dodie
New Blood

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006 »

I know this will not be politically correct at this time but you are now hearing from a Liverpool fan....living in Canada now but born on Merseyside....
that qualifies me for Heaven.  Enough said.
However...... we have one thing in common, friends....we love Mark Billingham's writing.....
his books were my "discovery" last year, now waiting for the new one.  Of course looking forward to the World Cup....I have my St. George flag ready to wave from my apartment balcony.  Tell you a nice little story before I go....
last World Cup I had my flag flying....then England was eliminated.  I thought screw it, left the flag flying.....was out watering my window boxes when I saw some construction guys in a truck flying the Brazilian flag come into the parking lot...... they all looked up and smiled, then saluted respectfully.....
it brought tears to my eyes.  The entire city of Toronto came alive for FOOTBALL.....cars had Italian, German, Portuguese etc. flags flying.... everyone smiling at each other.  It really is a WORLD sport and the best. 
It's a beautiful game....we live always in hope....look at Wigan!  and I do think it is time for an English manager to run the show again. 
All the very best to football fans --
cheers from an aging ingenue and Billingham groupie.....
Dodie

millhouse
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006 »

I'm surrounded by Wolves fans! Guess I cant escape anywhere!

I support the same team as Tom Thorne does ie THE MIGHTY Spurs!

I might be back on this board later as I'm only doing a "campbell" down the pub later, IE stopping for a half and then getting myself away

Si vis pacem para bellum

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006 »

Hello Nick and hello mighty Spurs fan! I used to run Robbiekeane.net (just thought I'd mention that); I would imagine you're pleased the Keane Machine is staying on (well, at least until the summer...). Are you pleased about the Danny Murphy signing?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006 by Jayne » Logged

millhouse
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2006 »

Keane is probably my favourite player. I've got his name on my shirt and everything.

Murphy is a better player than Brown but to me it doesnt make sense to sell Mendes and buy Murphy? IMO Mendes is better than Murphy.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006 »

Yeah, I have Robbie's name and number on the back of my Republic of Ireland shirt too. I've been a big fan of him since his days at Wolves.

I can see what you mean about Mendes, but I think Danny Murphy is having a fantastic season so far. You never know, he might prove to be a great signing...

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006 »

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOUR TEAMS TODAY!I`m sure a couple of you will return the favour as my team,the mighty Blackburn are playing WBA.After our midweek fortune the best I am holding out for is a draw.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006 »

Good luck to your team too, Smudge!  Cheesy

chantal
New Blood

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006 »

I'm most disappointed to read that no one has mentioned Bolton!!!!!!.....how could you not???

BTW...hi from New Zealand  Smiley

~Chantal~

toellandback
New Blood

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006 »

Nothing wrong with Bolton, not that I'm a fan. Unfashionable club that used to yo-yo in and out of the Premiership before Big Sam worked his magic and brought them into Europe! Lovely stadium too.

I'm also a Leeds fan and can only dream and remember with fond memories those days of 2000-1 when we matched (and even beat!) the likes of Milan and Lazio and even held Barca and Real Madrid. Now I'm thrilled with a home win against Sheffield Wednesday!!

Gary D

stowv
New Blood

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006 »

If anyone's interested, I support the best team ever (don't all shout at me) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR ! Grin

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006 »

it is notable that folk who say'oh bolton are alright' or 'allardyce is a good bloke' haven`t played them/him for a while(3 month-3 years).if you had you would despise their inverted snobbery and insistence on sucking the glam out of each game.

millhouse
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006 »

If anyone's interested, I support the best team ever (don't all shout at me) TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR ! Grin

Theres two of us!

Si vis pacem para bellum

Whelk
New Blood

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006 »

As a Sheffield Wednesday fan a goal scored by one of our "forwards" would be nice once in a while

When I can think of something witty.........

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 245
Print

Jump to: