About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Other Genres  (Read 8783 times)
Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009 »

Travel books (like Round Ireland With A Fridge) are a rarity, but Tony Hawks' book, a recent read, was a welcome diversion at the time. I've also read some of Michael Palin's travel books ...

You might like Bill Bryson's books.  He's hilarious!   Love him!

Actually, Beadnell, I HAVE read one of his books. I borrowed it, being the cheapskate that I am, and really enjoyed it. He was touring around Europe, I seem to recall. I enjoyed it a great deal, but the title didn't stick in the memory, unfortunately.

That'll be Neither Here Nor There, where he's travelling around Europe with his friend Katz.  You'll like The Lost Continent and Notes from a Small Island, too.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009 »

I love Bill Bryson - I think he's hilarious too.

In my twenties I used to read Westerns, my brother -in-law was an avid fan and used to pass on his books so I read them lots and lots of them.  Don't think I could read them now

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009 »

I got some Sven Hassell books when I was a teenager, but I think my mum will have thrown them out when I was at Polytechnic, from 1979 to 1980.

Put another way, my dad still lives in the house that I was born in and they aren't anywhere to be found!

Beadnell - you're probably right, but my memory is neither what it should be nor what it used to be.  Embarrassed

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009 »

I'll read anything apart from - Fantasy - Science Fiction - Futuristic - Romance

Like short stories - have a lot of these by various authors, only one of which is crime Val McDermid

anything by:  Patrick Gale - Ann Tyler - Anita Brookner  - Edna O'Brien - Alice Monroe

Travel books: Dervla Murphy - Bill Bryson - Michael Palin

If you want to be happy... be.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009 »

Autobiographies, sci-fi, bit of fantasy, history, humour, mysteries...anything except chick-lit and yukky love stuff...but mostly crime!

I'm a S-k-g....

mckh121
New Blood

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009 »

rom coms bore me anything with action

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010 »

I noticed today that Virginia Andrews has jumped on the inexplicably popular teenage vampire genre with the newly released Daughter of Darkness. Perhaps not as surprising as it may be, bearing in mind Andrews has been, err, quite dead since 1986.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010 »

LOL!

MattLeach
Repeat Offender

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010 »

Thanks to Claire I have just purchased 3 Richard Laymon novels after reading the blurbs. They sound awesome  Smiley

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010 »

Which did you get?
Hope you enjoy them!

Strongest girl in the world

Rach_Irl
Repeat Offender

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010 »

I must be on my own then as i love chick-lit, or romance for me its a break from crime/thriller as sometimes they can be too much on my little brain, i like some of the vampire series and have now started 2 kids series called The Beautiful Dead and Hunger Games.

Even though for now we've got to say goodbye,
I know you will be forever in my life.

MattLeach
Repeat Offender

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010 »

Which did you get?
Hope you enjoy them!
I purchased, One Rainy Night (which sounds ace) Savage and Island. Am very much looking forward to reading them all. Trouble is, which do I start with?!

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010 »

Start with One Rainy Night. Hope you enjoy them, Matt
I'd also recommend Funhouse and Beast House.

Strongest girl in the world

MattLeach
Repeat Offender

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010 »

Start with One Rainy Night. Hope you enjoy them, Matt
I'd also recommend Funhouse and Beast House.
Ive spent the last half hour or so reading all the synopsis of his books. I think Ive found a new author that I am going to love!

dali
Hardened Forum Fiend

A room without books is like a body without a soul

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010 »

Love Richard Laymon too and my personal favourite is Blood Games.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print

Jump to: