About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Print
Author Topic: Thorne's TV Debut  (Read 58924 times)
RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #360 on: November 14, 2010 »

Well, it was good TV crime drama but unfortunately it totally altered Mark's plot.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Pat Kennedy
Repeat Offender

« Reply #361 on: November 15, 2010 »

It was good.  I enjoyed it far more than most stuff on TV. I watched all 6 with someone who hasn't read the books, and they were gripped too. Now looking forward to Sky moving on to the next two books, and then the next two ..... ?

I think the disappointment some of us feel stems from the fact that the books are brilliant, with the insight into the characters' thoughts, the humour, the rapport between them. There are many layers to the books - which I know would be impossible to translate to the screen. I personally don't really mind the plot changes - it's good to watch someone else's take on it.

I particularly liked the scene with Tughan and Charlie in the office. Lovely touch.

One whinge with TV in particular -I do wish they wouldn't squidge up the credits at the end of the programme. Dunno about everyone else, but I actually want to read them. Dammit!

MattLeach
Repeat Offender

« Reply #362 on: November 15, 2010 »

Although I wasnt keen on the ending of Sleepyhead, I did think that Scardycat was awesome! A really ingenious twist that I dont think anyone would have seen coming.

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.

sarah1980
Repeat Offender

« Reply #363 on: November 15, 2010 »

Hi all, its been a while since I've posted on here, but wanted to have my say!!!!

Mark is by far my favourite author, and am currently re-reading all the Thorne books, and they are even better second time round.

I have watched both Sleepyhead and Scardycat on sky, and although I enjoyed them as a TV drama, I was very upest by the changes made to both adaptations. I appreciate changes have to made but I think it went too far. I found it very strange that they kept such tiny details as the chocolate bars and Sarah's chain smoking, but then changed major plot lines.

Can anyone explain how they are going to attempt to adapt Death Message now? Will they replace Nicklin with Palmer as the central character? I think they obviously didn't consider the rest of the series of books when making Scardycat.

On a positive note I think the casting was very good on the whole, love David Morrisey as Thorne, I thought he captured his grumpiness just right, I can even cope with Aiden Gillen playing Hendricks (only cos he is hot lol) and I thought Joe Absolom was an inspired choice as Nicklin, just menacing enough, but I thought the guy that played Palmer was far scarier than Nicklin in the end.

Ok speach over, I could have planty more to add but don't want to bore you all!!!

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2010 »

WOW - for me it was another breathtaking final episode.  Didn't see the changes coming, thought they worked really well.

I seem to be able to detach myself a bit from the books, but still picking up on the things I really like - such as DM's take on Thorne.  Have to say that there are so many good things about the adaptations, that for me, this far outweighs the plot changes etc.

I really hope that Lifeless makes it onto the small screen, with the same cast.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Dylan81
New Blood

« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2010 »

I'm both disappointed and impressed at the same time if that makes any sense.... having read the books and enjoying them as much as I did I found myself somewhat disappointed with the number of alterations.  However, if I'm honest I wasn't disappointed because the TV adaptions were no good! I felt the TV adaptions were excellent TV...... better than most of the rubbish we get on TV these days. Personally I just think that if I had seen the TV adaptions before I had read the books I'd have been able to enjoy them even more than I did because I wouldn't have found myself comparing them.

That probably makes absolutely no sense to anyone but in short..... I loved the books and I loved the TV adaptions but I was disappointed at not being able to prevent myself from comparing the both of them.

I'd definitely like to see more of Mark's novels make it onto TV though, that's for sure.

JonC
New Blood

« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2010 »

Sorry but I thought the adaption of Scaredy Cat  was a disgrace and if anything worse than Sleephead - taking one of the most twisted and chilling killers I have ever encountered in print or film and making them into a figment of a (not very scary or convincing) schizophrenic's personality…awful. My memory of the reveal at the end of the book still chills me now; the filmed version with a shootout on a piece of waste ground of a coked up cop trying to "make things right" was cliched predictable rubbish.

I was resolved to disassociate from Mark's superb books and watch them as stand alone TV drama….and I thought they were clichéd, boring and unimaginative. I would not watch another adaption if the same people were involved, and will try and console myself by re-reading Sleepyhead and Scaredycat again, for the books are truly brilliant.

So there!

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #367 on: November 16, 2010 »

Because Scardey Cat has such a profound effect on me when I read it, I was really disappointed in the TV Version.  However it just proves what I have always believed, a brilliant book, dosen't transfer to the screen - big or small.  Thankfully, Mark is still a brilliant writer and we can hold that thought.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

kepamash
New Blood

« Reply #368 on: November 16, 2010 »

I loved the tv series D.M is fantastic as thorne. One thing for me is this I have yet to read sleepyhead and scardycat so with the tv series being diffrent I will def be reading those books, if they were the same I prob wouldnt read them if im honest, on the other hand lazy bones is my fav tom thorne book so far and id love to see it on tv but if it was changed in any way id be going crazy, so I guess maby the best answer would be if mark were to write a few standalone episodes for the tv series..... Then again what do I know:-D

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2010 »

I think it helps that my memory is not that brilliant, so I can't remember the original plots in great detail.  Embarrassed

kepamash
New Blood

« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2010 »

Thats a good thing mary, you get the best of both:-D

madmonk
Repeat Offender

born free taxed to death

« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2010 »

hi mark.just like to say i have all your books.and i think the first two are my favorite books.i did like the sky Theron.and yes the right man was David Morrisey he was the sort of man that you picture in your head when you read your books.and the two people that played the killers in it was spot on.i still think that the ideal that you had when writting scaredy cat was best i like how you had two killers doing different things.but in thron on sky you changed the end.i liked it.but the book was better in ending. as it was unusual and different.keep up the good work mate. :)

Velouria
New Blood

« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2010 »

I thought the TV adaptation was quite.....well....and i hate to say this, dull. I was so looking forward to it and honestly it really failed to hold my attention at all. I think I may have done what Mark warned about and judged it by what was in my head.

In my head Red Metcalfe and Thorne are very similar, I often cease to remember who has the deaf girlfriend. Because the TV adaptation of Messiah was such a triumph, I now associate Ken Stott, with Thorne <blush>. Honestly nothing short of Ken Stott would have done as Thorne, David Morrissey in my eyes is too bland and young.  I found my self lost with the whole program, because I couldn't really remember the storyline.  I'm afraid to say it was all a bit blah and plodding.

Oh well not everything can be Messiah or Wire in the blood, I love Mark's books and look forward to the next.

Sorry for the negative first post, I have lurked and will be more positive forthwith.

Velouria
New Blood

« Reply #373 on: November 16, 2010 »

I would like to see lifeless too, I would tune back in for that, possibly my favourite Thorne novel. Although I fail to see Morrisey as a down and out, seriously, was stott busy? lol

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #374 on: November 17, 2010 »

Welcome aboard Velouria.

I think that for a lot of people Ken Stott is now Rebus, so, although he's a brilliant actor, the transition to Thorne might not have worked for many.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Print

Jump to: