About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Classical Music  (Read 8983 times)
ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008 »

Bond are stunning and a great way for people who don't listen to classical to enjoy classical. Another member of the forum shares my love for them and he was thrilled to get hold of all the albums. They are real crackers for waking you up in the morning.

And if you get chance, give Explosive a try. Has that real Bond theme tune vibe to it.

As for putting you hands up and having a fiddle, didn't Dexy's Midnight Runners do that all the time?

Finally Kev, glad I could help Wink

Sarah H
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008 »

I was brought up on classical - Mum a professional pianist, used to go to concerts all the time, including hers! Family friends were all professional touring musicians, Mum's social life revolved around informal gatherings with friends who would all perform for the fun of it... I was in choirs and orchestras for a long time, performing at stately homes and the like... so hard pushed to choose favourites but I have a particular fondness for Mozart, esp Requiem. I've taught myself the theme to 'The Piano' and realised at my cousin's wedding how much I miss being in a GOOD choir - I'll upload the video clip at some point. Maybe when my kids have grown up I will try and get in the Cathedral choir!

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008 »

A new colleague at work (she started in July) has had classical choral training, Sarah. I think it is Mozart that she enjoys the most.

I may soon be able to access the classical CD's that belonged to my late uncle. He enjoyed Haydn, Handel, Schubert, Mahler and Bach amongst many others.

scary claire
Hardened Forum Fiend

Clarior ex ignibus

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008 »

I love Elgar's Enigma Variations and Debussy's Clair De Lune.

I'd also love to be in a choir, but am not convinced I can sing well enough in tune now, quite out of practice.

Strongest girl in the world

Womble
Repeat Offender

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008 »

I like classical music but have no real knowledge about it. I am in the same camp as the majority of people. We know the tunes but have no idea what it is, who wrote it and mostly associate it with adverts, films etc.

A question for the people on the forum that know their opera stuff. I was watching a TV show in which Stephen Fry revealed his guilty secrets. One of these was the music of Wagner. He went on to say that his work isn't that popular with music lovers but  didn't really go on to explain why.

Why is Wagner's work less popular or seems to split opinion?

I'm not fat. You're looking at me in widescreen.

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2008 »

Womble, I think the short answer to your query is that Wagner during his life expressed many anti semitic comments and was later, apparently, a great influence on Hitler. The Nazis kind of adopted him as an exemplar of cultural superiority. It's not difficult to appreciate that because of this his reputation suffered hugely as a result.

Womble
Repeat Offender

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008 »

Clashcityrocker, thanks for the reply and the information.
I can kind of understand it, but to me that seems as ridiculous as saying that Bohemien Rhapsody is a bad song because it was written by Freddie Mercury who was gay, but if Brian May who isn't gay had written it then it's a good song.

From the tiny bit that Stephen Fry did mention on that programme I was more under the impression it was because a lot of people found Wagner's work very heavy going and overpowering.
"The Ride of The Valkyries," which I would guess is his most well known piece is definately "full on" and doesn't worry about subtleties. I always assumed a lot of his work was like that and therefore less popular.

Womble
Repeat Offender

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008 »

Bond are stunning and a great way for people who don't listen to classical to enjoy classical. Another member of the forum shares my love for them and he was thrilled to get hold of all the albums. They are real crackers for waking you up in the morning.

And if you get chance, give Explosive a try. Has that real Bond theme tune vibe to it.

As for putting you hands up and having a fiddle, didn't Dexy's Midnight Runners do that all the time?

Finally Kev, glad I could help Wink

What little of Bond I've seen and heard I've liked. When you had a similar act on that Britain's Got Talent thing a few months ago I couldn't believe how much fuss was made of them. Bond have been going a good few years. I know they are really big in Japan, but the TV companies in the UK wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I know of another similar group called The Planets which look like they could be good. This group is a mixture of men and women. I've not been able to find their website and putting The Planets into the seach at Amazon or Play.com gives you too many hits

tortoiseshell
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008 »

Womble, I think the short answer to your query is that Wagner during his life expressed many anti semitic comments and was later, apparently, a great influence on Hitler. The Nazis kind of adopted him as an exemplar of cultural superiority. It's not difficult to appreciate that because of this his reputation suffered hugely as a result.

Hey Womble, Clash is partly right. Many people dislike Wagner for his anti-semitic views and association with Hitler and the Nazis.

The main reason, musically however, why classical music lovers dislike his work is because he uses some very discordant chords (I can't remember what the technical term is). Many people feel that the chords he used/invented sounded very unnatural and jarred in comparison to more traditional classical music. Although it has to be said that these 'unusual' chords are what his most ardent fans love most about his music as it gives it a much more dramatic sound than other, more traditional composers.

Personally I don't mind Wagner but my favourites are Chopin and Tchaikovsky, especially the latter's violin concerto's as I played the violin myself for many years as a teenager.  T xx

If God had meant for me to touch my toes ten times every morning, he would have put diamonds in the floor.

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

How apt that 'Bandit' is an anagram of BT and I

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008 »

The main reason, musically however, why classical music lovers dislike his work is because he uses some very discordant chords (I can't remember what the technical term is). Many people feel that the chords he used/invented sounded very unnatural and jarred in comparison to more traditional classical music. Although it has to be said that these 'unusual' chords are what his most ardent fans love most about his music as it gives it a much more dramatic sound than other, more traditional composers.

For Wagner and classical read XTC and pop!

Superstar Tradesman!

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2008 »

How incredibly late of me to join this thread - but classical-wise it's pretty much Bond (who are fabulous) or Sarah Brightman (I defy anyone not to get the chills when she sings Pie Jesu).

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008 »

Excellent choices both, Sammo!

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009 »

Well, kevin, (in response to your post on the RAdio threadAlmost anything, but fave composers are Rachmaninov, Bruch and rodriguez guitar stuff.

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009 »

I think my favourite composer has to be Beethoven, as I love his symphonies. Mozart, Tchaikovsky are also up there.

I have loads of Chopin, Schubert, Handel, Wagner, Mahler that I inherited from my late uncle, but much of this, to my shame, remains to be heard by me. Telemann and Purcell are also worthy of a listen.

I know that I have some Rachmaninov in his collection. I also think Bruch features. I'll look them out when the chance arises.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print

Jump to: