About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Who watched Rebus this week?  (Read 3726 times)
Roger
Serial Poster

« on: March 09, 2006 »

Did anybody watch Rebus Monday night, if so what did you think.

I thought the first one(the falls) was quite hard to follow even though I had read the book.

I found This weeks One(fleshmarket close) very enjoyable,and I have not read the book yet although it on my shelf. I did start to lose track in the middle but it all came together nicely in the end.

Roger Smiley

carol
Repeat Offender

There are 2 seasons in Scotland - June and Winter.

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006 »

Roger,

I watched both of the Rebus episodes and I was a little disappointed that they were so different from the books. I still think that they were good to watch but I suppose I was expecting them to be more true to form than they were.
I am a massive Rebus fan so had been looking forward to seeing them ever since I heard they had been comissioned.
I think Ken Stott did a great job, but then again I do think he is a great actor.
I think I am alone in thinking that John Hannah played Rebus very well a few years ago Embarrassed .I even have those episodes on DVD

Wibble!

Roger
Serial Poster

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006 »

Carol,
Nothing that is put on tv or film is like the books or very rare.
I was watching Michael Connelly's Blood work starring Clint eastwood
And the ending was totally different. The man who was his friend in the book ended up the bad guy in the film.

I think you have just got to watch it as a program and forget who wrote it.
I also have the John hannah dvd , but i have only watched one so far.

Roger

carol
Repeat Offender

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006 »

Yeah, it is very rare to find a TV adaptation that is almost exactly like the book it was taken from.
I'm just disappointed I suppose.
I have also seen Blood Work, I wasn't that impressed with it but then again I'm not a big fan of Clint Eastwood and couldn't really imagine him to be Terry McCaleb.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm a wee bit to fussy!

Wibble!

Roger
Serial Poster

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006 »

Its also funny they way they are making Rebus.
All Ian Rankin rebus books are in Real time, and the next one he will be looking at retirement. So if they make another Rebus and they going to do an earlier book. They are going to have to make ken Stott younger, somehow I think that's going to be difficult.

CFR
New Blood

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006 »

Roger,

In the world of screen adaptions I don't think so.  They've already proved that all they are taking is the basis of a plot and its setting, plus the bases of the main characters.  They can, I think, make all the books "current time" if they choose to do so, on that basis.

It begs the question, based on earlier stories, "How would they handle the developments with Rebus's marriage breakdown and what happens to his daughter?"

Er, just ignore it and leave it on the script writing floor, let alone the cutting room floor.  They proved with "The Falls" more than "Fleshmarket Close" that the book is just an idea on which to attach.

I don't want to sound critical; both are good in their own different ways.  In fact, it's worth emphasising that if the viewers of the new series like Rebus, it's worth picking up the books and getting to know him better.  There's so much more of him and his colleagues and the plots in the books.

"Die hard" Rebus book fans will be disappointed, no doubt.  But this is the best adaption to date, IMHO. 

Many don't know it, but the Scots do, so it's a shame they used Glasgow so much in the filming.  I'm reliably informed by an Edinburgh resident that the tower blocks we saw in the FC episode are in Glasgow.  Edinburgh makes it as a character in the Rankin books; it's a shame the producers just saw "Scottish city".

As someone from the (way down) south, I've enjoyed both the series to date and the books I've read so far.  The books are like wholemeal bread to the series though - far more wholesome and something to get your teeth into!

Roger
Serial Poster

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006 »

When we were watching FC my wife kept saying that some of the places reminded her of Glasgow. She lived grew up, just outside Glasgow, but that 26 years or so ago now.

bisneygirl
New Blood

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006 »

I was really pleased when I heard Ken Stott was going to play Rebus and I think he does a good job.

If you ignore the books both stories were well paced and enjoyable, certainly better than the most recent Daziel and Pascoe offerings.

However IMO I think the Wire in the Blood captures the essence of Val McDermids characters Tony & Carol perfectly, the best of the bunch.

maesi
New Blood

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006 »

no carol you are not thinking alone...john hannah did play rebus a few years ago., made quite a good job of it .

""i am a woman with a fork in a world full of soup"""

carol
Repeat Offender

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006 »

no carol you are not thinking alone...john hannah did play rebus a few years ago., made quite a good job of it .

Yeah, thats why I bought the DVD's. I thought I was the only one who actually thought that Hannah was good as Rebus.

Wibble!

Primo
New Blood

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006 »

The Rebus TV programmes are great , much better than the books in my opinion.  Its the actors who make the characters and the production that makes the story flow.  Anyway,  what's the difference between Rebus and every other middle-aged,  hard drinking,  hard smoking,  divorced Inspector on TV?  Can't we have something new?

Primo

Primo
New Blood

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006 »

Maisie -  Your quote about Scottish weather is just perpetuating a myth.  Be honest:  how much sun have you had this winter?

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006 »

i have heard that Mr Rankin is phasing Rebus out in the next book and giving Siobhan centre stage.Perhaps this is all bollo but it would solve the "Dalziel and Pascoe" problem arising

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: