About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: "Tokyo" by Mo Hayder  (Read 6470 times)
tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008 »

I like others will be in Harrogate on the 18th July, will feedback as soon as I can on return

If you want to be happy... be.

Peter
Repeat Offender

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008 »

I found that the authors first two books were classics (albeit a touch too gruesome) but I couldn't stand Tokyo at all. Just didn't get into it whatsoever.

Talented writer, just not the book for me.

http://cat66.proboards70.com/index.cgi

Check out this board for conversations and thoughts on everything one can think of.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008 »

This time, one who will possibly read the comments and will meet some of the forumites at Harrogate.

Living in hope, Smudge?  Grin Grin Grin

I know the fame of the Billingham Blokes and Babes has spread far and wide, but I doubt the divine Ms. Hayder will be too hurt by an honest opinion or two! Read it anyway, Smudge, even if you don't join in the discussion - you'll be glad you did!

I'm a S-k-g....

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008 »

I know I'm not a fully fledged member of this group, but on the strength of what I've read on other threads about other authors' whose books I have bought, but not yet read... (still struggling to read TBG - finding time and all those other pathetic excuses!!).  I've seen Mo Hayder's books in Tesco's, and have been tempted to buy them, or borrow them from local library, but I'd rather have my own copy to keep in any case!
  I shall try to purchase a couple of her books on the strengths of what I've read so far on here in other threads, and perhaps if I'm allowed, I'll give my thoughts an airing. It's about time that I gave my two-pennyworth of opinion, as it may help me to get used to hopefully recieving constructive criticism on my own material. Something I know can be both good and bad, but as Tzara says authors should realise that readers either like or dislike, all or some, of whatever book they've read... it's all a matter of taste or preference.

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008 »

Book safely looked out........ all I need now is the time to read it. Smiley

Steve Flashman
Repeat Offender

Because SOME short men have a Napoleon complex...

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008 »

I've only discovered this excellent site this evening and I think the Book Club is a great idea... I found Mo Hayder's "The Treatment" and its sequel (prequel??) both genuinely unnerving and quite rivetting... I've got a copy of 'Tokyo' which I haven't read yet but will get to it by July...

Incidentally, I contacted the site having been bowled over by Mr. Billingham's 'Buried', which I finished this evening...

Now it's shameful that this is the FIRST Billingham novel I've read, but be honest, doesn't it make you lot jealous that I can now go gorge myself on all the others??? (Wink!)

Also, nice site! Great resource, interesting posts/threads and good, good people... I'll never fit in!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008 by Steve Flashman » Logged

"I take your point but don't you LIKE a challenge...?"

tortoiseshell
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008 »

Hey Steve Flashman. You sound like a Superhero. Trust me, you will fit in. I haven't been here long and I have made a couple of mistakes, but this lot are very accepting and forgiving.  Welcome and have a lorra, lorra fun.  T xx

If God had meant for me to touch my toes ten times every morning, he would have put diamonds in the floor.

Steve Flashman
Repeat Offender

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008 »

How kind!

I have very mild superpowers.... I can open Milk Cartons, Salted Peanut packets, individually packed biccies on aeroplanes etc. in one go... Shoom! Ta-Dah!

Not as impressive when you write it down, really....

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008 »

Individually packed shortcake wrappers are more impenetrable than a nun. A rare gift.

I knew a few Flash Boys in my yoot, it`s nice to converse with a grown up version!

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008 »

Managed to get hold of a copy the same way most BTZ'ers get their collections, down a dark alley with strange favours changing hands.... NO, erm.. I mean through the local charity shop. So, I'll be ready to join in with the chat this month, or next month....

Steve Flashman
Repeat Offender

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008 »

Thanks for the comment Mr.Smudge... Although my Mental Age is actually somewhere between my Real Age and my shoe size....

And when I get to know you better Sir I shall remonstrate with you regarding your 'deleting activities'.... Tsk, tsk!! (Wink!)

Although I suspect that anyone on here who writes will recoqnize the results of frustration and confidence crisis, heck, I know I do.... Mind yourself and your Ladies, Sir!!

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

Has anybody seen the plot?

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008 »

Hee Hee! 

Anyone who can use 'remonstrate' in a forum post deserves respect.... Cheesy

Methinketh you will fit in well round here.

God doesn't deduct from our alloted life span the time spent drinking.

oh and while I'm at it - READ THIS NOW! Grin - http://jokawasaki.com

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008 »

I started it on Saturday. I'm off to a slow start, but it's no reflection on what I've read - more on the amount of reading time that I've had available to me.

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

How apt that 'Bandit' is an anagram of BT and I

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008 »

Got so I'm in for this month!

Superstar Tradesman!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: