About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: In The Dark  (Read 33764 times)
dizzy
New Blood

« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2009 »

i've just finished in the dark i loved it, but i did not like the ending.

dizzy
New Blood

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2009 »

i'm looking forward 2 his next book bloodline.

ronniesoak
Hardened Forum Fiend

My Name..." Said the fifth Horseman "is..."

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2009 »

Also Just finished in the Dark, Really enjoyed it, Loved the twists - they are what keep you on your toes (although having read the hardback, It it leave me confused about Lauras identity, I just assumes that it left they way open for more about this in a later book perhaps...) Also, Mark, you couldn't resiste the Cameo appearance by "Spiky Bugger" could you!!!
good book, and would recommend to anyone.

"What don't Kill you makes you more strong"

http://andrewmillenstalesofsmugglers.weebly.com/

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2009 »

There may be the odd change - though rarely anything huge - between hardback and paperback. Occasionally readers will contact me and point out errors that proof readers missed first time round, or, as with this book I have the chance to make something a bit more obvious that was perhaps a bit over-subtle first time round.

And sorry you didn't like the ending, Dizzy, but that's what felt right at the time.

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2009 »

Having read Dave's review I'm going to buy In The Dark this weekend. To be honest I did look at it in Tesco's last weekend but decided a loaf of bread and some cheese were more important!!
   Dave's reviews are brilliant as are his posts. Honest, as well as poignant to the subject matter, he describes the premise without giving too much away and allows us to make our own opinions albeit with subtle influence.  (Does that make sense... I've confused myself!)

As we all know, Mark is just a brilliant and stumpin' writer, and he deserves the accolade Dave has given for ITD.  Keep plodding on Mark, we can't read 'em quick enough!!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2009 »

Having read Dave's review I'm going to buy In The Dark this weekend. To be honest I did look at it in Tesco's last weekend but decided a loaf of bread and some cheese were more important!!
   Dave's reviews are brilliant as are his posts. Honest, as well as poignant to the subject matter, he describes the premise without giving too much away and allows us to make our own opinions albeit with subtle influence.  (Does that make sense... I've confused myself!)

As we all know, Mark is just a brilliant and stumpin' writer, and he deserves the accolade Dave has given for ITD.  Keep plodding on Mark, we can't read 'em quick enough!!

Rog, thanks so much for saying that; you're a real gud un.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2009 »

Just to let you know that In The Dark is on special offer in WH Smith this week. It's only 2.99 if you buy a copy of The Times newspaper.

DerKommissar
New Blood

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2009 »

Okay, I'm bursting!

Thanks to our 'Kiwi Kousin' Wink, I've been lucky enough to read 'In The Dark' and all I can say is, I loved it. Dark, sinister and down right gritty from the start, it's a wonderful walk down another dark alley in the Guv's mind. Luckily though, he doesn't deviate too much off the beaten, blood soaked track.

I'm not going to let out any more because I expect it'll be available in Harro(w)gate and after that there will be plenty of time for people to have a chat about it. Until that time, I'll be biting the back of my hand waiting to see what you guys think of it.

What I loved about the book were the great characters and the really dark descriptions of their lives, their culture and their world in general. I think what Mark did their is great literature. What I didn't like was the murder plot itself and the way it was executed. The murder depends on so many coincidences like all people being at the right time in the right place that i think the chances of it working are next to none. Or as Jeeves said to Wooster: Sir, I would never rely on a plan that requires 3 people to be at the same time in the same place.

apollocandy
Repeat Offender

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2010 »

Just finished it and although it took me 100 pages to really get into it, as a whole I loved it! Such a sad ending for all involved really! Bittersweet maybe.  Cry

Im suprised people are asking what the twist was. Surley it was the fact that XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX?

Although the fact that XXXXXXXX was a pretty big twist for me!!   Shocked

I did see the XXXXX thing coming.  Still took me a while to figure it out though!

How about some more Helen?  Grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010 by Mark » Logged

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2010 »

Glad you enjoyed it Apollo, though i fear we may have to edit your post to avoid spoilers for those yet to read it. Hope that's OK.

I THINK Helen may feature prominently in the book I'm about to start.

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

apollocandy
Repeat Offender

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2010 »

Sorry guys, I saw other people had posted a few spoilers and didnt think about it.

Mine were a bit more full on though, I hope no one was ruined!

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2010 »

I'm sure it won't, apollo.

col_1314
New Blood

« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2010 »

ok..late as usual..but after reading several of Marks books in a row and being slightly miffed at the whole David Morrissey "too tall ~ too skinny ~ too young~ shit actor" thing i switched genre for a bit. Of course i came back to read "In the dark". Loved it..got the laura twist...but i do have questions **CAREFUL..SPOILER ALERT**...maybe i missed the obvious..so here goes...what happened to Easy , What happened to Gary Kelly? seems like he could get of scot free due to lack of evidence, why was shepard even in the book? who shot Theo, was it Easy?? (sorry but it is 2010 and im sure if ur reading this thread u have read the book by now) was it a boy or a girl and whos the daddy?...feel free to email me any of the answers.

col_1314
New Blood

« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2010 »

Thanks mark for your response to my post.....i guess its only fair i watch Sleepyhead before i pass judgement on David Morrissey as Thorne.
I do have another question though...was David Morrissey cast as Thorne before or after "in the dark" because the cameo appearance of spikey bugger again described him as , well , plumpish i guess..Helen's observation of him was...."he looked uncomfortable in his suit, with his neck bulging slightly above a collar that was clearly too tight". I ask cos I'm interested wether you see David Morrissey in your minds eye now when you think and write of Tom Thorne.

anyways , I just started Tom Sharpe's "the midden" but i will be back to read "bloodline" and "from the dead"  and of course the work in progress once its out.
Cheers,
Col.

dracenstein
Repeat Offender

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2010 »

I was wondering why Easy didn't get a death scene as well. I felt he truly deserved one.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print

Jump to: