About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: No. 17.....with a whimper rather than a bullet  (Read 2510 times)
smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« on: March 10, 2008 »

I know it`s not much, but I`ve took a battering on a few occasions on youwriteon.com and so it`s nice to say that twelve good reviews and two hateful ones (guess which two had the most impact) combined with some perhaps generous marking has got me on a `leaderboard`.
  Joint seventeenth with about twenty others, but still....if the stars align themselves and I get two mediocre - good marks this week, then I can remove the most malignant review/score and the top 10 is in sight.
  I don`t need anyone to tell me that this all means diddly squat and what do the general public/fellow struggling writers know about what is good or bad? That`s what I said when I got the bird from a couple of folk. However, I`ve taken the nitpicking and therefore I`ll be vaingloriously promenading the fact.

There. I`ve had a little wry smile to myself and we can move on. Little men need little victories.

Excuse me, I`ve got to go and do my menial job out in the persistant Lancashire rain.

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008 »

Congratulations, Smudge.  I've been on youwriteon.com for ages, and although I'll admit to not requesting many stories to review, my stories have gained very little excitment or interest.  That top ten slot is within reach!

Max Vaxine
Hardened Forum Fiend

How apt that 'Bandit' is an anagram of BT and I

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008 »

Will check this out (and resist the temptation to suffer slings and arrows.) Well done though...hopefully you can see the spiteful reviews in their proper context now

Superstar Tradesman!

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008 »

Well done, Smudge!

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008 »

Get those bullets ready for your machine gun, smudge! Onwards and upwards! Well done, fella! Cheesy

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008 »

There is no such thing as a little victory. Any battle won be it that of sword or words is a battle against the thoughts and throws of another.

As with any writers review group, there will be those that love and those that loathe. In this forum, Smudge, you know that all your writing is loved. You have managed to fight over the other budding writers here and show that you are king of the hill. It will not take long before you hold that title in other places as well. Although somewhere else views you in the shadows of lower teens, here you are the number one, and I am sure that the many fans of your writing will agree with me.

I don't need to say keep up the good work, its always good and can only improve. Once the others realize that talent such as yours doesn't come around everyday, but it's as rare as a comet viewing, and that every viewing should stand out like a moment in history. It won't be long before you'll be signing books for the masses!

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008 »

Then why does it all feel so flat? Sorry. Nothing more to say. Just sorry. It`s a shit business and I f**king hate it. There`s not much that I don`t today. A walk to the Tower I think.

*normal service will be resumed at some point* x to all.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008 »

Everything is a shit business. Is anyone truly happy with everything in their lives. How many times do you wish for a third chance to make a first impression. Flat is the feeling given to us to allow us to work ourselves just that bit harder.

But that's not what it takes. It takes a greater understanding of others points of view, that sometimes they feel out of sorts when having their words. That sometimes, they think they know best and sometimes you know best. In the worlds of writing, its what's in your head that matters, not the way others see it.

Smudge, I know that I'm not the right person to be handing out praise to you and that you've looked upon my words in the wrong light in the past, but I have a feeling that you know where I come from when I say, this is simply a small wall to climb over when it comes to the main adventure. You are one in a million, but sometimes, it takes time to notice that one.

*normal service will never be resumed*

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008 »

Good man yourself, Smudgie - why do you so mistrust the good and absorb the bad? Are the people who like your work somehow lesser, or their opinions less valid than those who don't? Somewhere in that weather-soaked little brain of yours the logic must emerge that if you have twelve positive reviews and two negative, the majority of them liked your work.

Common sense, man! Be proud x

I'm a S-k-g....

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: