About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Radio  (Read 28962 times)
kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« on: January 25, 2008 »

I was listening to BBC Radio FiveLive last night and there was a long discussion about the (mostly British) Olympic possibilities for Beijing later this year.

It is a follow-on from what they did for Athens 2004 and a precursor for London 2012.

They were talking about boxing, including an interview with our first World Amateur Champion either ever or for a VERY long time (I got distracted, sorry.)

They also had a piece on how our volleyball team is training in The Netherlands and assuming/taking over the name of a Dutch team and playing in the Dutch league. (Though they are currently bottom, having won only one of their games and lost the other 13.) They are living in a very undesirable part of Amsterdam, I think, with six living in an old office block (with more to come) and having to share one kitchen, washing machine, etc.

They also had an "open water" swimmer, a synchronised diver, (aged 25) who is partnered with a 13 year old, and how he has to do most of the travelling so that they can train together.

They also had a story about a Ghanaian long jumper who was also training in The Netherlands, a paralympian dressage rider, who has just paid for his own horse and all sorts of other things.

Kathryn Merry (athlete) was a guest for the whole thing in Manchester studio and they also had Steve Parry, who medalled for the swimming team in Athens.

It made for fascinating listening and is likely to be a regular feature on Mark Saggers show, which is every weekday night and starts at 7.00 pm.

Most people on here know that I love most sports and some current affairs programmes.

What do you like listening to and want to share?

Nethers
Hardened Forum Fiend

Popping in occasionally

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008 »

Because of some strange sleep patterns recently, I've got into the habit of listening to the radio on headphones as I fall asleep... then waking up at 2, 3 or 4 a.m. to discover that it's still on. Last night I had some wierd dreams as I listened to the end of No Name by Wilkie Collins on BBC 7. I heard the Likely Lads at 5 a.m. in  the week. It's so strange how dreams can be influenced by what I'm listening to at the time. I must try some subliminal CDs!

I was gutted to discover that OneWord Radio has gone off air. I turned it on to hear birdsong (not the Sebastian Faulks novel, but yer actual singing bird noises). It may seem strange, but I don't actually care for music much so listening to spoken word radio is my main aural diversion.... and now there's only bleedin' Ceebeebies in the afternoon. So it's back to the Audio Books for me.

Sarah H
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008 »

Is OneWord radio the one that Paul Blezard was on?

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008 »

i'm a big radio fan and download loads of podcasts on to my ipod weekly.

I listen to and download  from many various programmes literary, comedy, woman's hour, debates, friday comedy show is one of my favourites.

If you want to be happy... be.

Grant H
Serial Poster

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008 »

I miss listening to, for hours on end ,the cricket commentary especially "Johners" but alas that was very 80s. No time for that now.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008 »

TMS still fills the time here for me, Grant, when the chance arises. Johnners' biography is worth a read, if you haven't already indulged.

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008 »

podcasts are replacing radio really for me. Russell Brand, The Word, The Game, Guardian Football Weekly, Leicester FM (odd I know), Jonathan Ross, the sadly missed Baker & Kelly football ones and God knows how many more. The Onion is always a good wake up podcast. 50 seconds of spoof news.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008 »

I appreciate I may be talking just to myself here, but Radio FiveLive will be doing a special feature on the Munich Air Crash on Monday evening, starting at 7.00 p.m., with interviews from Sir Bobby Charlton amongst others.

The reason? It will be the 50th anniversary on Wednesday of next week.

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008 »

Thanks, Kevin, I'll make sure I tune in.

kevindj

Simply the BEST!

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008 »

According to the BBC website, the special article will be on at around 9.30 p.m..

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008 »

Thanks Kevin, I can remember how upset my Dad was when this happened

If you want to be happy... be.

Jez
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008 »

Mark is on Front Row this evening, talking to Mark Lawson about how he has "changed his name and halved his workload" (according to the trailer). I'm assuming he's talking about Triskellion but hoping he'll also mention something about In The Dark.

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

Has anybody seen the plot?

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008 »

He'd better be careful he doesn't overdo things with all of these radio/tv/poker shows he's doing lately....

God doesn't deduct from our alloted life span the time spent drinking.

oh and while I'm at it - READ THIS NOW! Grin - http://jokawasaki.com

Nethers
Hardened Forum Fiend

Popping in occasionally

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008 »

Is OneWord radio the one that Paul Blezard was on?

Sorry Sarah, I must've missed this when I've been on previously. Yes, indeed OneWord did broadcast the fabulous Blezard one mic interviews with authors. And I miss 'em.

Did anyone listen to Ben Hur on Radio 7 recently by the way? Marvellous stuff - as I've never seen the film I didn't have to deal with Charlton Heston in my head.  Currently enjoying High Table, Low Orders at 8 p.m on BBC 7 with  the delectable Sam West.

Sarah H
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008 »

Ooh - I have a bit of a thing for Sam West!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print

Jump to: