About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Current Projects  (Read 23265 times)
betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008 »

Good Luck Max -

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008 »

He won`t need it. The story is most excellent and I am already drumming my fingers waiting for the full novel.

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008 »

Will cross the gingers out of habit.  As Smudge said, I'm sure you don't need any help from us.

I'll see you in my dreams.

heavyd
Serial Poster

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008 »

Good luck with it Max - keep us posted.

"Let me clear my throat." - DJ Kool

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008 »

Best of luck, Max!

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008 »

Hi there peeps, I went to a gig on Saturday with my mate, and on the way home we got talking about a story he'd suggested to me one day.
  I'd already completed this idea some time ago, but decided that perhaps it was time to dig it up once more and have another look. It's only a short story of just over 6000 words.
  I read it through, made a few changes to the storyline, which I felt were unnecessary, and finalised the project.  It's called 'Rock The Devil' and I wondered if any of you would (when you have the time and inclination!) like to give it a read?
  It's not specifically a crime story as such, more a horror/supernatural effort with a tadge of dark humour (NUbsey style) thrown in.
  Don't all rush in at once!!  Grin Wink Shocked

Let me know when/if you'd like me to send it to you and I'll do the honours! I'd really just like your input!

Thanks for reading this drivel.

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008 »

Hi Roger,

see my open arms, send it my way please but note I have a new email address, it's on the forum.
I look forward to reading it.  Smiley

If you want to be happy... be.

Simon
Hardened Forum Fiend

It takes a lot of planning to be this spontaneous.

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008 »

Crikey sounds like you're all busy!

I've come to this thread late (shocker). I'm currently working on a novel, called Boy X. Basic plot synopsis (so no stealing ideas! Smiley): a young man appears to be immune to all known illnesses - from the common cold through to HIV and AIDS. The question I'm exploring is this: what will you let him get away with, purely because he seemingly holds the cure to all known diseases? He's a nasty piece of work and he's going to do lots of terrible things, so I'm interested in the line we have to draw between what's acceptable given his special circumstances and what isn't.

This may well vanish up it's own bottom, but I'll see where it goes!

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008 »

But surely, you'd just take a blood sample, do a gene analysis on it, and have the answer. In fact, he couldn't get away with anything as you'd just imprison him and then demand to take blood samples or medical tests as part of his incarceration.

Sorry!

Simon
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008 »

But surely, you'd just take a blood sample, do a gene analysis on it, and have the answer. In fact, he couldn't get away with anything as you'd just imprison him and then demand to take blood samples or medical tests as part of his incarceration.

Sorry!

But at the point when he discovers his ability to resist illness he hasn't done anything wrong - and this uncovers the dilemma of whether it's right to lock someone up just to do tests on them. It's a whole ethical/moral grey area. Is it really OK to do this? We do it to animals, but where do you draw the line in locking up a human being?

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008 »

Sounds good. Maybe a good start to a screenplay!

AlisonB
Serial Poster

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008 »

Sorry to just jump in, Simon, but how does he discover his ability? Surely this must be in a fairly public way or nobody would be interested in getting hold of his genes/whatever it is that makes him immune to diseases. The only thing I can imagine would be a blood test in which it is found that despite exposure to virus X, he's ok. So the lab technician would have a blood sample to work from, unless you blow up the lab so that the sample is destroyed?  Undecided

Ok so, re-reading that paragraph, it's a bit stream of consciousness, and you probably don't want to air the details of your plot, but I'll post it anyway as you might like to see that your idea has got at least one random reader interested in knowing more!  Smiley

I agree that the "special circumstances" issue is an interesting one. I liked the way it was addressed in PD James' The Children of Men but I think there is scope for a lot more exploration of the topic.

Simon
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008 »

Hi Alison,

Thanks for the encouraging post - always good to get one of those! Smiley

Yes, the way in which he discovers his ability will be very public. But that's not the issue - at the time he discovers he can't get ill he hasn't done anything wrong. To me it's about the way power can mess with your mind. Once he realises he is so important, he starts to act up.

You're right in saying I don't want to air too much detail - and yes I know, Chris, there'll be holes that can be picked in the idea - but I just want to see where it takes me.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008 »

Go with it Simon...sounds intriguing!

I'm a S-k-g....

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008 »

Hi Tzara,  Thanks love, sorry for the delay in responding, I'll send it your way asap, probably be sending to my fellow BTz readers early next week.

I'm starting an ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) Huh course next week, to gain a certificate in Computers to enhance my PC knowledge.  I'll send you guys my crazee story then to enjoy!! Thanks for requesting a look.

Hope you enjoy, and sorry to keep you all waiting!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print

Jump to: