About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Scandanavian Crime  (Read 5554 times)
dali
Hardened Forum Fiend

A room without books is like a body without a soul

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008 »

Sorry but I don't consider myself any sort of resident expert but thanks for the vote of confidence (or should that be flattery?). Grin

I haven't read the Stieg Larsson but he is on my TBR.  All I know about it, is the rave reviews he's received in his own country and here.  I would be interested in hearing what other readers think of it though.

I did read 'Last Rituals' by Yrsa Sigurdardottir recently.  Again this had had rave reviews but I was disappointed.  Maybe my expectations were too high. 

I sincerely hope the prominence that Scandinavian writers have received recently doesn't mean that all novels from the region are to be treated so reverently.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008 by dali » Logged

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.

dali
Hardened Forum Fiend

A room without books is like a body without a soul

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008 »

I have read 3 of Arnulder Indriđason's books.
Voices was one and is not a favourite of the 3.
I much preferred:-
Silence of the Grave
The Draining Lake

It's interesting we all have different opinions, because for me, 'The Draining Lake' was the weakest book in the series so far.  It's Indridasson's fourth book but for me, it read more like a cold war spy thriller than crime fiction.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012 »

My large feature article on Jo Nesbo, recently published in the New Zealand Listener magazine: http://www.listener.co.nz/culture/books/interview-crime-writer-jo-nesb%c3%b8/

GhostReader
New Blood

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013 »

Have really found a lot of Scandinavian writers that I like:
Karin Fossum
Kristina Ohlsson
Jo Nesbo
Hĺkan Nesser
Yrsa Sigurđardóttir
Arnaldur Indriđason
Karin Alvtegen
Johan Theorin   

momkat
Serial Poster

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013 »

Thanks, Ghost! I gobbled up all the Nesbos, read my first Nesser, and appreciate the additional author names!
Welcome to the forum!
--Kat

GhostReader
New Blood

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013 »

Thanks, Ghost! I gobbled up all the Nesbos, read my first Nesser, and appreciate the additional author names!
Welcome to the forum!
--Kat
You are quite welcome and thanks for the welcome here!

gerryod5
Serial Poster

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013 »

Jo Nesbo's books are simply brilliant

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013 »

as are Jussi Adler-Olsen's novels, start with Mercy

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

gerryod5
Serial Poster

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013 »

as are Jussi Adler-Olsen's novels, start with Mercy
Agree and the latest Department Q is available for Kindle in July

momkat
Serial Poster

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013 »

Have you friends heard of James Thompson? I am going to check out his first, Snow Angels. He is, from what I've read, an American who has lived in Finland for 15 years, and his novels are very popular there.

From Yahoo News, Dec. 2012: Thompson's style is on the dark end of the "Nordic Noir" spectrum. The genre — with its stark and often violent police procedurals — has proved wildly successful for publishers and filmmakers alike.

Hopefully this will help me with the letdown when I finish the last translated Jo Nesbo.
~kat

GhostReader
New Blood

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013 »

Have you friends heard of James Thompson?

Yes and love his books! Read "Snow Angels" this past year and just got his new one, "Helsinki Blood" from the library yesterday.

momkat
Serial Poster

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013 »

Plowed through Snow Angels (little joke) ... great! And I have the first Arnaldur Indridason waiting at the library! And Nesser's first one also waiting on my reading pile. (I think I read the second or third out of order.)  Note, must quit work.

*** happy! ***

I too can't get Dept. Q books quickly enough!

GhostReader
New Blood

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013 »

Got the first 2 books by Lars Kepler and will start them this week. According to FantasticFiction they are a husband/wife team that have written on their own but don't want to divulge their true identities even though their book are hugely popular in Sweden. 

Also got the first 2 by Jussi Adler-Olsen. Have to read these four books as both series have new books coming out this the next couple of months.  Wink

momkat
Serial Poster

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013 »

Got the first 2 books by Lars Kepler and will start them this week. According to FantasticFiction they are a husband/wife team that have written on their own but don't want to divulge their true identities even though their book are hugely popular in Sweden. 

Also got the first 2 by Jussi Adler-Olsen. Have to read these four books as both series have new books coming out this the next couple of months.  Wink

So what's your opinion, Ghost? I thought the first LarsK was amazing, the second just OK.  The second Jussi A-O held up a little better. But overall, I will definitely read any new ones from these authors!

I read The Black House by Peter May recently. (Scotland, but in the Outer Hebrides - so can I mention it in this thread?) I was irked that the sequels aren't available in the US yet, so that means I really liked it.

GhostReader
New Blood

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013 »

Actually Kat I have not had a chance to read them yet.  Had too many new releases that I have to read because someone else has a reserve on them after me.  I have a huge list of great European authors.  Just drop me an email and I'll be glad to send them to you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print

Jump to: