About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: country music and Thorne  (Read 8741 times)
norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007 »

I'm am just glad that I was able to see Johnny Cash live 3 times. But the show that i was unable to get tickets for was when he played in the group The highwayman with Waylon Jennings and Willie nelson  and Kris krisstofferson, I was so annoyed at missing that show. I have it on Video now and will keep it forever, if you haven't seen that concert I would highly recommend it ,and you can buy it on Dvd now.

I never saw that, but the first concert I ever went to was Willie Nelson at a county fair.  Our seats were on the race track (dirt, it was a horse track), right in front of the speakers.

I love the song Committed to Parkview.

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Roger
Serial Poster

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007 »

Willie nelson is great norby, you won't find anyone who sounds like him, he is unique.

Roger
Serial Poster

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007 »

You should be able to watch the full concert of The highwaymen  with Johnny cash, waylon jennings, willie nelson abd kris krissofferson free at

http://stage6.divx.com/Music-Eclectic/video/1256052/The-Highwaymen

You might have to download a piece of software , i can't remember, its pretty good quality to. its a 1hr and 35 min concert.
Take a look.

Adam
Repeat Offender

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008 »

I have all Kris krissofferson's stuff including his best to date 'This Old Road' and the albums he recorded with Rita Coolidge.

Does Tom have his own record collection, I wonder.

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008 »

I have an LP of Johnny Cash CBS 1968 'Johnny Cash the Holy Land' it's a brilliant live recording.

I've no longer got a turntable and can't really afford one of those techi things that convert LP's to CD's, so decided I would have a look on Internet see if I could buy a CD.

Amazon have one used at 77.95 and one new at 87.85   Shocked   Shocked   shock horror

Does anybody know where I could buy one a lot cheaper than this?

I also like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Don Williams, Hank Williams...

If you want to be happy... be.

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008 »

I have an LP of Johnny Cash CBS 1968 'Johnny Cash the Holy Land' it's a brilliant live recording.

I've no longer got a turntable and can't really afford one of those techi things that convert LP's to CD's, so decided I would have a look on Internet see if I could buy a CD.

Amazon have one used at 77.95 and one new at 87.85   Shocked   Shocked   shock horror

Does anybody know where I could buy one a lot cheaper than this?

I also like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Don Williams, Hank Williams...

Don't you have antique and thrift stores over there?  It might take a while, but I'm sure you would find one. 

My (eventually former) in-laws actually have a stereo with a cd player and a record player on it.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008 »

This is why those USB turntables are so invaluable. All my obscure `sold 25 copies` 7" singles from the 80`s and unreissuable albums can be converted to CD and on to the SiPod.

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008 »

not sure what a USB turntable is Smudge? sounds as if i need one, I have a pile of 7" and LP's that I think are unreissuable, can you post info please

thanks Norby  Smiley don't have any such store that I'm aware of

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008 »

not sure what a USB turntable is Smudge? sounds as if i need one, I have a pile of 7" and LP's that I think are unreissuable, can you post info please

thanks Norby  Smiley don't have any such store that I'm aware of

Well, a thrift store here is Goodwill.  It's probably what you would call a charity shop, only they're huge-you can find anything at Goodwill (or the Salvation Army).  Clothes, furniture, electronics.  Some of it is in good shape, some not so much.  Anything I can't use anymore that's still in good shape goes straight to Goodwill.  They re-sell it for a very low price.  Originally it was only the 'impoverished' who shopped there, but now, everyone goes there. 

You can also find some good book bargains.

But I think smudge's idea might be your best bet.  If my parents hadn't thrown out all of their old LPs I might invest in one.  Hey, what happened to my 45s?!!  Shocked Angry

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008 »

Here's a nice cheap option for all you old vinyl heads out there.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=AV15710

There are also tape versions of the same system around now.

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008 »

thanks Chris & Norby...I'm getting closer by the minute  to listening to especially JC The Holy Land [can't stress how magnificent this is if you haven't]   and all my other ep lp's as well. But how does this work Chris?  couldn't see any destructions on the link.

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008 »

It works by converting your albums/12"/7" to a digital signal. Yeah, the old MP3's. From there, these can be cleaned up.

However, I have to say that I've got a large collection of old 80's stuff that has the old 'crruuuff' that a dragged needle produces. And I love it.

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008 »

Got me pondering now...should I buy a turnable?   

I thought only purists used them now?
seems bit of a backward step  Undecided

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008 »

Hey vinyl is making a big comeback, you`ll be the hippest chick on the block sistah!

Seriously, that initial crackle, the anticipation and, to be absolutely truthful, the sound is better. CD takes away a lot of the bottom end. There is something warm about a record played on a turntable. Warm and crackly like a real fire.
  CD is good for travelling and portable sounds but hey, weren`t they supposed to last forever, be indestructable? I`ve more CD`s that skip (and I look after them like an anal retentive boy; alphabetisized (sic) and all in correct jewel cases) than records that jump or are scratched.

Get to the car boot at least Tzara and get listening to that excellent sounding (in both senses) Johnny Cash album.

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008 »

you've convinced me smudgy! I'll put the wheels in motion

being an only child i always wanted to be a sistah...   Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: