About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Think I am losing the plot??!! Is it a test?  (Read 4544 times)
Zigster
Repeat Offender

« on: August 23, 2007 »

As alot of us on the forum are writers, budding writers etc. just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I am in the process of going through my novel and editing it, with a view to sending to Lit agencies, but am a little confused by some of the requirements of a particular lit agency. Obviously I won't mention names as I don't want to be prosecuted for slander deformation or what ever the legal term is, but am a little confused as to the type of fiction they publish. I looked at their current authors and they all seem to be for Non-Fiction, which must be their preference although they do give very precise guidlines for Fiction and Non Fiction Submissions.

This is part of their submissions guidlines specifically for Fiction and I quote:-

"There are various forms of formulaic, genre fiction in which we never have any interest. These include: Crime, Detective stories, erotica, fantasy, murder mysteries, occult, romance, science fiction, thrillers. Please don't send them in hoping that we will change our minds."

Is it me? Obviously I wouldn't have a chance as my story is crime/thriller genre, but what is left? I am very new to this game so there could be an obvious answer.

It would be easier for them to name the remaining genre they do cover wouldn't it?
Of course I am looking at more appropriate lit agencies, but was stumped by their statement is this usual?

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007 »

I spotted this advice on crimespace just last night and kept it for someone.  I know nothing at all about all this but maybe it will help.
Best of luck,
chel.

Go to
annemine.com
click the right hand column index links for entries on query letters, agent acquisition and the varieties of pitching an author must do to find an agent and publisher.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007 »

P.S. Crimespace is a good spot for budding writers, readers and the already published!
http://crimespace.ning.com/

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007 »

Many thanks Chelbel I will check this out.

Zigster
Repeat Offender

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007 »

Hi Chelbel, could not access Annemine.com it said "could not find local host" Help!!!

Sarah H
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007 »

Zigster - I would say that you should avoid that agency as they probably are looking at contemporary fiction and 'literary' fiction.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007 »

Yes, it was mainly the advice i meant for him to look at Sarah, someone had mentioned how good it is. .  Maybe if you look around crimespace you'll find something you can access!  I don't know why you can't get in, sorry..

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007 »

Zigster - I would say that you should avoid that agency as they probably are looking at contemporary fiction and 'literary' fiction.
That`s me!  Who is this latest agency to snub me? Tell all Zigster.

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

Has anybody seen the plot?

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007 »

Hee Hee!  Just followed Chels link to crimespace to find a picture on the welcome page of our Mr Newbury (aka nubsey) peering back at me!

I can't say I was quite expecting that! (grin)

God doesn't deduct from our alloted life span the time spent drinking.

oh and while I'm at it - READ THIS NOW! Grin - http://jokawasaki.com

Sarah H
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007 »

Grin

BTZers get everywhere - we are like impetigo!

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007 »

True most of my friends on other forums are from here.....lucky I have you guys, I would be friendless  Sad

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: