About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Your top pic  (Read 5746 times)
no name
Serial Poster

« on: February 15, 2006 »

If you had to recommend just ONE book to someone from this past year.... which would it be Huh

You have to let it all go.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind.

Raen
Repeat Offender

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006 »

I would have to say Rage by Jonathan Kellerman (no offence Mr Billingham sir!!)

Don't worry bout what you can't change

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 »

Definitely Christopher Fowler's 'Darkest Day' - intellegent and unusual, crime plus a good slice of supernatural - I loved it. (Assuming we all already know and love Mr. B's work - no recommendation needed!)

I'm a S-k-g....

Roger
Serial Poster

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006 »

Robert Goddard / Slight unseen.

I love Robert Goddard's books and i liked this very much.

Roger.

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006 »

kiss me gently amy turtle by paul mcdonald,his first book surviving sting made me emit strongbow from my nostrils,this one i read without refreshment and my nose just hurt as much as my ribs.and i don`t find much funny except mr b obv.

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006 »

Michael Cordy's Miracle Strain - an absolute page turner, intelligent, sophisticated, moral.  Brilliant.

Peter
Repeat Offender

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006 »

In the Moon of Red Ponies by James Lee Burke, as always a great read.

http://cat66.proboards70.com/index.cgi

Check out this board for conversations and thoughts on everything one can think of.

rockrebel
Hardened Forum Fiend

la merde se produit

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006 »

Catch me when I fall by Nicci French. Hectic pace, psychological turmoil and dirty deeds a plenty. Brilliant

rock & roll will never die

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006 »

Rock Rebel-this is off topic somewhat but if you like Nicci French I suggest giving Tony Strong a go. "Tell Me Lies" is excellent, not dissimilar to French but with a bit more edge to it.
Best
CCR

gregn7157
New Blood

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006 »

DARK FIRE by C.J. Sansom -- incredibly well written follow-up to his debut novel DISSOLUTION.

Nikki
Serial Poster

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006 »

Perception of Death - Louise Anderson

(or Sleepyhead....I read it at The Harrogate Crime Writing Festival last year and read the others in the series in quick succession after that....but u said ONE book and seeing as this is Mark's site.....I'll say Louise Anderson  Grin Wink)

WERDNA
Repeat Offender

beelzebub has a devil put aside for me

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006 »

Twisted by Jonathan Kellerman - if ever the title sums up the author

I'm away to lock myself in a darkened room

rockrebel
Hardened Forum Fiend

la merde se produit

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006 »

Rock Rebel-this is off topic somewhat but if you like Nicci French I suggest giving Tony Strong a go. "Tell Me Lies" is excellent, not dissimilar to French but with a bit more edge to it.
Best
CCR

Thanks for that CCR. I'll have a look and let you know what I think

rockrebel
Hardened Forum Fiend

la merde se produit

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006 »

Best
CCR

I went to the library the other day to look for some of the authors recommended on this forum. I was particularly looking for Tony Strong and Henning Mankell. They didn't have any on the lending shelves but they had a book sale on. I picked up Tony Strong's "The Death Pit" for 20p. Have you read it CCR? It's next on my list.

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006 »

No, Rockrebel, I've only read Tell Me Lies By Tony Strong so far but I'm keeping my eye open for his other work. I'd be interested in what you make of The Death Pit. I believe he is currently involved in writing TV scripts, not sure which project though.
Have you come across Nick Stone's Mr Clarinet? I've not yet read it myself but i hear great things about it and I'm very intrigued.
Best, CCR

Pages: [1] 2
Print

Jump to: