About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Why Do People Write?  (Read 18070 times)
smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« on: July 17, 2007 »

I was wondering today, as I wandered the streets with my Kebab House leaflets, why do people write? Books, stories, poetry. The people on here I mean. The people who write are of different age groups, gender and sexuality, so come on `fess up. What makes you write?

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007 »

Great question!

I write because, if I didn't the little git in there would crawl out and take over my world. It's a way of relaxing, by creating a new world for my characters to walk amongst. It's a way of putting some feelings I have down on paper and hopefully, its a way out of IT!

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007 »

If I didn't write down all these thoughts and ideas in my head I'm pretty sure I'd end up just a little bit crazy.  Or maybe I already am crazy?  

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 »

I concur with Sammons, as I feel the same way!  Roll Eyes Tongue Wink

Apart from the fact that I was pretty good at reading from an early age, and learning English language and literature; I think that when I really got into reading sci-fi and horror stories in the 70's, it piqued the creative area of my mind, and I played about with writing short stories while at school.
  My hyperactive imagination has grown ever worse over the years, and I come up with far too many ideas, especially where my Holmes plays are concerned.  Apaprt from the 6 completed ones, I now have 179 other plotlines to play with!!

Should keep me busy!  And that's without the multitude of novels and filmscripts I have tucked away to work on!

In a way Smudge, I think that those of us BTZers who write, enjoy it because it gives us a route to escape from 'reality' and the day-to-day routine that sometimes drives us round the twist!  Plus, it gives those of us who enjoy writing, a chance to show others what we're made of!

With me it's pure farcical lunacy!   Wink Grin Roll Eyes

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

Sammo
Hardened Forum Fiend

I fell from grace and landed on my knees

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007 »

Smudge - I gotta ask, what's the new avatar?

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007 »

I think it's because I have all these ideas crowding my mind and if I didn't write them down and am well get confused between fact and fiction Grin

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007 »

The new avatar looks like Mini-me with someone's head on him-is that you Smudge?

I don't know if I've mentioned it here but I do write the occasional poem.  I say occasional because I really have to be in the right frame of mind for it.  Often it's when I'm not feeling well i.e. I'm feeling depressed or especially sad or angry about something.

When I start feeling depressed all these thoughts and emotions just start swirling around in my head and it's very difficult to get rid of them, so about a year ago I started writing them down.  I've also written a few that are about other things-my great-grandmother's farm, Ireland, some other stuff.  I don't know that any of them are worth anything, but I kind of enjoy getting the words out, especially when I'm feeling really low and just need the release.

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007 »

Jack Bauer 2` 4". Damn it Chloe, the shits shrunk me.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007 »

I like making up stories, always have done!  It's mine and no one elses.  Three people have seen my writing.  So i think it's a selfish thing with me. And i'm a dreamer...

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007 »

My love of writing started at a very early age and has become a part of my psyche. I love the feeling of freedom when I begin to create a whole new world, and it gets more exciting when the characters start doing their own thing...I become their slave!!

Even when I'm not physically writing, I'm constantly writing in my head all of the time. People, places and the power of the written word ...exhilarating. 

If you want to be happy... be.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007 »

My love of writing started at a very early age and has become a part of my psyche. I love the feeling of freedom when I begin to create a whole new world, and it gets more exciting when the characters start doing their own thing...I become their slave!!

Even when I'm not physically writing, I'm constantly writing in my head all of the time. People, places and the power of the written word ...exhilarating. 
What a lovely description!

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007 »

Thanks everyone for answering. You have told me all I needed to know.

ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007 »

The love of STORYTELLING. Weaving yarns to hopefully give pleasure and entertain, just as the works of fiction of others - books, films, TV, theatre - have, and continue to do so for me.

That just about sums it up for me. Simple.

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007 »

Thanks everyone for answering. You have told me all I needed to know.

I think you knew already, hon.

I'm a S-k-g....

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007 »

No, RC. I just wondered whether given the `lust for glory` some writers have, the willingness to play hardball and blind ambition to succeed at the expense of standing on people`s toes to achieve it, was the factor it seems to be in the case of some writers.
  Of course none of us are bothered about being published and being `rich`. The art is the thing. I know that to be genuinely the case for some and they have shown that. Writing is good for release and wonderfully cathartic. I just hoped someone would put their head above the parapet and admit to a `lust for glory and wealth`.
  I have a lust for vindication. That is all, but I`d never step on someone or lie to get further in the jog for success.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print

Jump to: