About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Death Message on Sale Now?  (Read 6514 times)
ChrisH
Serial Poster

"I should be working too..."

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007 »

I actually think Mark does the "whodunnit twist" very well and is perhaps the reason I prefer those books (if anything, THE BURNING GIRL was probably my least fave, though still very good).

You can intellectualise crime fiction as much as you want - and MANY do, including sometimes the writers of such fiction themselves (to the point of almost apologising for the genre - that old SNOBBERY again! - I hate it!) but for me, you just can't beat a good MYSTERY - and indeed a mystery KILLER - to keep you glued to the story and turning the pages to the very end. All my favourite crime novels and stories have this quality (Val McDermid's THE MERMAIDS SINGING is yet another excellent example of such storytelling).

So, I for one, hope that Mark doesn't move away too much... but then, that's just my opinion...

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007 »

Got to agree with you ChrisH about the genre snobbery, there's a lot of literary rubbish out there that couldn't hold a candle up to the writers of crime genre.

For me, Val McD is the Queen of  psychological mystery, she never fails to leave me feeling in awe of her skill in holding the reader to every word, and the mounting tension as the story unfolds.

Death Message sits waiting for me to finish the book of the month...today had things I just had to do, kept me from finishing it. Ever felt like shouting GO AWAY leave me alone to read.

If you want to be happy... be.

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007 »

All the bloody time!  If only we had even one more hour in the day!

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007 »

... Ever felt like shouting GO AWAY leave me alone to read.
YES!  You're on the bus and some mouth-breather inarticulate moron grunts, "Gud buk?" "It was, until you sat down next to me.  Jealous that I can read? See, no pictures, just words!"

Don't you wish you could be paid to read?  That would be a great job.  Course, what do you do on your break?  Hmm.

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007 »

I agree Beadnell, I miss Thornes Dad.  Hopefully "Tom will wake up and its all a dream and his dad isn't dead".......golly watching too many soap operas  Shocked Grin Wink

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007 »

Like that one Dallas episode! And Thorne isn't a cop, he's a frustrated English Lit teacher!  "It felt so real!" Smiley

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007 »

Yay!  Hopefully by the 13th August I'll have a copy of Death Message, that is if my friend will have time to pick one up when they're at the airport.  If not, oh well.  I can wait until it's published here. Smiley

Joes Spleen
New Blood

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007 »

I ordered the hardback off the internet, and they sent me an E-mail saying it was posted yesterday! Can't wait.

kazzz38
Repeat Offender

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007 »

Went into Waterstones today and they had Death Message in hardback on the shelves  Smiley

If the human brain was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it.

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007 »

WH Smiths are already recruiting no necked bouncers to prevent me keeping the Billingham book at No.1 for a month (not that he needs help)despite the release of Phli Collins autobiog "Another Day In Eternal Purgatory" and the authorised biographies of ten slaggy/vain/meal ticket seeking/frankly prozzie Big Brother losers (6 female, 4 male) and `The Tony Wilson Only I Knew` by Mr Smudge.

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007 »

My friend didn't get a chance to pick up a copy of Death Message when she was in the airport, but that's OK, I can wait until it's published here.  (It might already be in Chapters!  I'll have to check tommorow.)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: