About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Death Message on Sale Now?  (Read 6510 times)
Adam G
New Blood

« on: July 12, 2007 »

Mark

went on honeymoon last Wednesday (just back now).
WHSmiths at Gatwick had DEATH MESSAGE for sale now in paperback, in the departure lounge place.

Am i severly confused, or is it not out until Aug 23rd??

Oh, I didn't buy it as didn't have enough cash on me. Gutted.

Forget Red Bull - it's Bingo that gives you wings.

tzara
Hardened Forum Fiend

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted...

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007 »

You mean you didn't mug anybody for the price of the book...OH Adam what a lost opportunity   Roll Eyes 

So Mark can we all leg it to the nearest airport to salve our dire need to purchase
Death Message   Undecided

If you want to be happy... be.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007 »

It will be on sale in Harrogate I imagine tzara - then we can hunt Mark down to sign it. Grin Wink

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

Jo K
Hardened Forum Fiend

Has anybody seen the plot?

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007 »

That's what I'm hoping Betty.

God doesn't deduct from our alloted life span the time spent drinking.

oh and while I'm at it - READ THIS NOW! Grin - http://jokawasaki.com

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007 »

Mark

went on honeymoon last Wednesday (just back now).
WHSmiths at Gatwick had DEATH MESSAGE for sale now in paperback, in the departure lounge place.

Am i severly confused, or is it not out until Aug 23rd??

Oh, I didn't buy it as didn't have enough cash on me. Gutted.
Yes, the C format - trade paperback - is already on sale at airports, and only airside. It's increasingly the way they do things. But hardback not out until 23rd (except at Harrogate).

Thanks for being eagle-eyed!

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 »

What about his children's shoes H Tongue

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 »

I wonder if i could do a deal on Lelli Kelly's!? Wink

gerryod5
Serial Poster

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007 »

I flew out of Heathrow last Saturday, why couldn't it have been on sale then Sad

Kevin
New Blood

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007 »

I was at Heathrow on Monday and couldn't belive my luck when it was available. What a great book! Can't wait for the next one!!

ravenscross
Hardened Forum Fiend

Read my tweets... on twitter

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007 »

I've got the 'Harrogate Edition' sitting on my shelf!

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007 »

I have a friend coming to Canada in the middle of August so i think I'll ask them to try and pick up a copy of Death Message.  Oh happiness, oh joy!
(I do remember back in 2005 I could have picked up the North American paperback edition of The Da Vinci Code 12 - 18 months before it came out over here, but I bought the UK paperback edition.  Maybe we should start going to the aiports to buy our books, just as long as they don't jack up the prices like they do for food and coffee!  "I'm sorry, how much?  Am I buying shares in the company as well.  Are the coffee grounds being ground in a solid gold grinder?  Does it come in golden cup?  No, THEN WHY SO MUCH MONEY FOR SO LITTLE COFFEE?")

SteveB@
New Blood

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007 »

The airport edition's been on sale since about the end of June, and my impression from the constantly-replenished piles in the bookshops is that it is doing very well.

I liked "Death Message" a lot better than the last one "Buried".  I think that the "whodunit twist" aspect, which Buried went back to a bit, is anyway not Mark B's strongest aspect. The new book is much more a return to "Burning Girl" and "Lifeless" in style and much better for it (in my opinion anyway!!!).  On top of being a top-flight story in itself, old characters return and loose ends are resolved (including regarding Thorne's father).

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007 »

The airport edition's been on sale since about the end of June, and my impression from the constantly-replenished piles in the bookshops is that it is doing very well.

I liked "Death Message" a lot better than the last one "Buried".  I think that the "whodunit twist" aspect, which Buried went back to a bit, is anyway not Mark B's strongest aspect. The new book is much more a return to "Burning Girl" and "Lifeless" in style and much better for it (in my opinion anyway!!!).  On top of being a top-flight story in itself, old characters return and loose ends are resolved (including regarding Thorne's father).

Aah! Aah! Don't spoil it for us who haven't read Death Message (even if nothing was really said), Can't wait to find out if Thorne's father was murdered or was it just an accident. 

I miss Thorne's dad. Sad  I thought he was great. Smiley

chelbel
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007 »

That's a good point. He was entertaining wasn't he!

Beadnell
Serial Poster

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007 »

That's a good point. He was entertaining wasn't he!
I think the reason I miss Thorne's dad was I'd just lost my own dad (and my mum) in January '05 and had just started reading MB's books in the following months, so just when I'm starting to like all the characters, his father dies.  I did like it when he'd tell jokes and ask about useless trivia, even though that could have been because of the Alzheimers.  Who knows, if Mr Billingham does decide to do some books about the early life of Thorne, we'll get to read about his dad again.

Pages: [1] 2
Print

Jump to: