About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 538
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading now.  (Read 619332 times)
RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7650 on: December 10, 2011 »

Echo Burning by Lee Child.

Finished The Visitor last night. I was a bit disappointed. It was not up to Child's usual standard, the plot was implausible, in particular the killer's method.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7651 on: December 12, 2011 »

DEATH ON DEMAND by Paul Thomas. Not released until March 2012, it's the return to crime fiction for New Zealand author Paul Thomas, who won the inaugural Ned Kelly Award back in the mid 1990s, and has also written several sports biographies (eg of All Blacks etc) amongst many other writings. Thomas wrote five crime novels from the mid 1990s to early 2000s, but this will be his first crime novel in a decade.

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #7652 on: December 13, 2011 »

Clive Cussler's 'Medusa'  I was supposed to be starting Sean Black's 'Lockdown' but I'm in such a run with Clive's books, still have three others to get to!!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

Livia
Serial Poster

« Reply #7653 on: December 19, 2011 »

Finally! 

Good as Dead.

Loving it.

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7654 on: December 20, 2011 »

Half way through 11.22.63 by Stephen king.  I am enjoying it immensely.  There is a quote on the cover that says Stephen King is Americas greatest living novelist....I think they are right!

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7655 on: December 20, 2011 »

The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg.

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #7656 on: December 20, 2011 »

You Never Give Me Your Money by Peter Doggett. An account of the disintegration of the Beatles post 1969.

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

Peter
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7657 on: December 22, 2011 »

Feast Day of Fools by James Lee Burke.

There is not a lot to be said about James Lee Burke that hasn't already been said.

He is one of the best writers of today and yesteryear. His fiction is so eloquent that one feels like they are a part of the story and witnessing the events firsthand.

Burke's latest Feast Day of Fools is no exception to the brilliance that he has created over the years. In this novel, we return to Hackberry Holland an older man (over 70) who is Sherrif in a small Texas border town. He is a man grieving for his deceased wife, trying not to have a romance with his much younger deputy and attempting to forget the sins of his past. When an alcoholic witnesses a murder, Hack is drawn into one of the most drawn-out and complex events of his life.

A couple of things struck me with this book (ignoring the quality of the writing), these were the extra violence that seemed to be a part of the book and the extra length (460+ pages) of the novel. Maybe it is me but these were two factors that lessened the novel a little in my opinion.

I must admit that I prefer Dave Robicheauex to Hackberry Holland but I think the characters are close enough in personality to balance my missing Dave.

If you like quality writing from one of the literary greats, then this book is for you.

http://cat66.proboards70.com/index.cgi

Check out this board for conversations and thoughts on everything one can think of.

Big Ad
New Blood

« Reply #7658 on: December 22, 2011 »

Johnny Boy is the son of immigrants coming to the U.S. seeking a better opportunity, only to find themselves in dire poverty; when the opportunity to make a ton of money in presents itself, Johnny decides to take that opportunity head-on, even though it ultimately leads to the destruction of his family.  Here is the amazon link of you wanna check it out http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O4SWY2

catmac
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7659 on: December 28, 2011 »

Peter I love James Lee Burke his writing is so beautiful,I always look forward to reading his books. I am currently reading The People Next Door, I'm only on page 101 and I had a nightmare last night, might not be related to the book but I've not had a nightmare for a really longtime it's a little bit spooky Smiley

Peter
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7660 on: December 28, 2011 »

Peter I love James Lee Burke his writing is so beautiful,I always look forward to reading his books. I am currently reading The People Next Door, I'm only on page 101 and I had a nightmare last night, might not be related to the book but I've not had a nightmare for a really longtime it's a little bit spooky Smiley
Cat, Burke is a quality author, can't recommend him highly enough. Have you tried Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island, that book gave me nightmares.  Smiley

http://cat66.proboards70.com/index.cgi

Check out this board for conversations and thoughts on everything one can think of.

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7661 on: December 29, 2011 »

The Bomber by Liza Marklund.  Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens was rather a disappointment.

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

dali
Hardened Forum Fiend

A room without books is like a body without a soul

« Reply #7662 on: December 30, 2011 »

The Troubled Man - Henning Mankell

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7663 on: December 30, 2011 »

The Forgotten by Faye Kellerman

Livia
Serial Poster

« Reply #7664 on: January 01, 2012 »

Retribution by Val McDermid

Miles ahead better than Trick of the Dark, so far.

Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 538
Print

Jump to: