About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 538
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading now.  (Read 618934 times)
Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #7620 on: November 07, 2011 »

Get well soon, Mary.

Currently reading The Haunted by Niki Valentine.

smudge
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7621 on: November 08, 2011 »

I`ve just finished the splendid, enviable and rip roaring `Good As Dead` by our very own Guv and now I`m about to start `Tip Of The Iceberg` by our own Roger `Nubs` Newbury. Looking forward to it, hard act to follow, no pressure, Nubs!

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #7622 on: November 09, 2011 »

Just started The Girl On The Cliff by Lucinda Riley. I think I'm really going to enjoy this book.

SteveSW9
New Blood

« Reply #7623 on: November 09, 2011 »

I've started THE CUT by George Pelecanos.
With his new Greek-ish investigator.
GP gives you great urban tales.
But why so many transport tips for car drivers?

Mark
Hardened Forum Fiend

I should be working...

« Reply #7624 on: November 10, 2011 »

Just finished Cage Of Bones by Tania Carver (actually my mate Martyn Waites and his wife) and now into Stuart Macbride's latest...

Mark

"If it's going badly, get off. If it's going well...get off."

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7625 on: November 10, 2011 »

Random by Craig Robertson. I am only on the third chapter and am already convinced we have an excellent new contributor to Tartan Noir.

Finished The Ghost by Robert Harris last night. A highly entertaining, plausible novel.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7626 on: November 10, 2011 »

FEAST DAY OF FOOLS by James Lee Burke

eddie1978
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7627 on: November 11, 2011 »

Currently reading One shot by Lee Child.  My copy of "The Affair" which is Lee Child's new book arrived today and I have also ordered 11/22/63 whcih is Stephen King's new novel and looks a good read.  TBR pile is currently 22 so lots to get on with.

sarah1980
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7628 on: November 11, 2011 »

I have read Random, by Craig Robertson, I really enjoyed it but I think I remember it having bad reviews. As I say I enjoyed it tho, I liked the journey the character went on!!
I am about to start Neil White series, got them all cheap!! Has anyone read them?

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7629 on: November 13, 2011 »

Just finished Collusion by Stuart Neville.  I think I have read all he has in print now!  Can't get enough of this guy.  I Love his writing.  Now about to start Birthdays for the Dead, a stand alone by Stuart MacBride

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7630 on: November 15, 2011 »

RED MIST by Patricia Cornwell - her new one (not out here yet). Might be interviewing her soon for a NZ newspaper.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7631 on: November 17, 2011 »

Headhunters by Jo Nesbo

Finished Craig Robertson's Random a little earlier. It started out full of promise, but Robertson's writing style feels as if the narrator is talking without pause for breath. Enjoyable all the same.

Munster by the Grace of God.

no name
Serial Poster

« Reply #7632 on: November 18, 2011 »

Recently finished The Twelve, by Stuart Neville, best debut I have ever read.

I completely agree!  This book just kept me at it until I was done!  Have his other 2 in line as well!

You have to let it all go.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind.

Mary
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7633 on: November 20, 2011 »

Just about to start Sanctum, which is a stand alone by Denise Mina.

I'll see you in my dreams.

Peter
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7634 on: November 24, 2011 »

A Fifth of Bruen by Ken Bruen.

I must confess to not being a fan of short stories as they have a tendency to bait the hook of interest with me but then be too brief to follow through on my interest.

Bearing that in mind, I picked up this book mainly because Ken Bruen is a very good writer and I was hoping that he would do well.

The book is made up of a number of short stories and two short novels, apparently Bruen sold these stories in his early days at the local pub before he made a big name for himself internationally.

To be honest, the book turned out to be what I expected. The two short novels were sensational, very gripping and worthy of attention, the short stories on the other hand were too brief and unfulfilling for me.

The stories have a number of things in common - they feature men who drink hard and have serious personality issues. They are paragraphs in each short novel that make you sit back and think about what you just read and say Wow.

Taking into account my dislike of short stories, this book is a definite winner with me.

http://cat66.proboards70.com/index.cgi

Check out this board for conversations and thoughts on everything one can think of.

Pages: 1 ... 507 508 [509] 510 511 ... 538
Print

Jump to: