About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 538
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading now.  (Read 617928 times)
Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7725 on: February 26, 2012 »

Now reading NOBODY DIES by Zirk van den Berg

Nubs
Hardened Forum Fiend

With friends like the BTZ's could I do any better?

« Reply #7726 on: February 27, 2012 »

Finished Sean Black's Lockdown yesterday, what a great debut novel, great sense of humour, and some well thought out drama. The characters were well executed (not literally of course).  If you haven't already read this one, I'd recommend it.

Began reading Lynda La Plant's  'Silent Scream' yesterday, and as this is the first of her books I've ever bought, it's already shaping up to be very intriguing and well written.  Getting into the characters as easily as The Guv's, and enjoying every page so far!!

BTZer's are GGRREEAATT!  Grin

Jayne
Global Moderator

« Reply #7727 on: February 27, 2012 »

Started reading One and Two Halves to K2 by James Ballard. It's about  the journey of climber Alison Hargreaves' family to K2. Alison successfully reached the summit of this mountain, without oxygen, in 1995, but was killed on the descent. It's a fascinating book and I'm enjoying it immensely.

catmac
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7728 on: February 28, 2012 »

Just finished 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It's taken me nearly a month as I found it a little bit long winded. Have started 'The seventh month' by Lisa Gardner today.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7729 on: February 28, 2012 »

NORTHERN WINTERS ARE MURDER by Lou Allin

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7730 on: March 03, 2012 »

Just starting The Snowman by Jo Nesbo.

Finished Bloodland by Alan Glynn last night. The first 100 or so pages were quite tedious as he indulged in prolonged scene-setting and I almost gave up, but then the pace picked up and it became a very enjoyable conspiracy thriller.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Linda L
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7731 on: March 11, 2012 »

The Dying Hour by Rick Mofina, not read him before.

People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.

sarah1980
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7732 on: March 12, 2012 »

Just finished James Patterson's new one- 11th hour- a women's murder club book- really enjoyed it, only took me 3 evenings to read it!!! Have gone off the Alex Cross series, its all very political now, but this series really grabs me!!! Would recommend it!!!
Not sure what's next got lots in my tbr pile!!!!

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7733 on: March 13, 2012 »

THE MEAN GREEN MACHINE by Alan Brooker, an environmental thriller.

RichardAKing
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7734 on: March 14, 2012 »

The Trafficked by Lee Weeks, a new author to me.

Finished The Snowman by Jo NesbÝ last night. Another great read from this talented author. I was somewhat bugged by the book cover though. While I can accept someone's right to make the comparison on the back cover to the first book of Steig Larrson's triology, I cannot accept the quote from The Independent on the front cover proclaiming "The next Steig Larrson". NesbÝ was published at least three years before Larrson and is more prolific. Granted we will never know how much more work Larrson could have produced had he not died so tragically young.

Munster by the Grace of God.

Kiwicraig
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7735 on: March 17, 2012 »

MISERY BAY by Steve Hamilton (who won the Edgar Award for THE LOCK ARTIST)

catmac
Repeat Offender

« Reply #7736 on: March 19, 2012 »

After vowing never to read another Karen Rose book I stupidly started reading No one left to tell. I'm so mad with myself because I now have to finish it, but it's just the same as all her others crappy romance unnecessary sex scenes with a little drama thrown in Sad

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #7737 on: March 19, 2012 »

After vowing never to read another Karen Rose book I stupidly started reading No one left to tell. I'm so mad with myself because I now have to finish it, but it's just the same as all her others crappy romance unnecessary sex scenes with a little drama thrown in Sad

Agreed -  one was my limit, I'm afraid.

Just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Not my usual fare, but sounded interesting, about a Columbine-type shooting, and the before, during and after. I found it a rather simplistic treatment of a very complex event - the shooter being the bullied small-for-his-age specky loner who never got the girl. Sigh.

Quite disappointing really -  the subject definitely deserved a bit more originality, insight and intensity, and a bit less yucky love stuff.

I'm a S-k-g....

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #7738 on: March 20, 2012 »

Agreed -  one was my limit, I'm afraid.

Just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Not my usual fare, but sounded interesting, about a Columbine-type shooting, and the before, during and after. I found it a rather simplistic treatment of a very complex event - the shooter being the bullied small-for-his-age specky loner who never got the girl. Sigh.

Quite disappointing really -  the subject definitely deserved a bit more originality, insight and intensity, and a bit less yucky love stuff.

Have you read We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, Carol. It seems to convey everything - complexity, turmoil and the emotional charge that you clearly felt were lacking in Nineteen Minutes. The ending too is so poignant and thought provoking. The movie is also worth a watch. 

Rock chick

I wanna be a Debaser....

« Reply #7739 on: March 20, 2012 »

I've seen the film, Clash - Nineteen minutes sadly didn't shine by comparison.

I'm a S-k-g....

Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 538
Print

Jump to: