About News & events Books Other writing Standup Reviews Contact Links Forum Tom Thorne Triskellion
Forum Mark Billingham text and Photo

The Billingham Talk Zone

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

The Billingham Talk Zone is no longer active.

All existing threads and discussions have now been archived but if you want to carry on talking about Mark's books, please follow him on Twitter or Facebook.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: My Favourite crime writers  (Read 17841 times)
sheila quigley
Serial Poster

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2006 »

hi, just back from the holiday in hell. one tent blew over the cliff thank god we evacuated the kids out first, two others collapsed and we sold the other two to the warden, no where in the booklet did it mention a power station blocking the sunset. favorite book of all time is stephen kings The Stand. fantastic have read it three times. Also a book I read ten, twelve years ago, The Name Of The Beast, danniel  easterman. I think thats the name he uses on this book because he writes under another name  as well.  also,Lee Child is british, best sheila q

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2006 »

Have to agree with you on The Stand sheila, although I can't read it in the summer anymore.  I have terrible allergies and the slightest sniffle while reading that book makes me very paranoid!

A critical oversight that has led to yet another mouthful of poo.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

sheila quigley
Serial Poster

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2006 »

guarantee I will have nightmares about Mr Flag tonight now that you have said that. especially since I have just eaten Chinese.

Chollins
Repeat Offender

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2006 »

Have to agree with you on The Stand sheila
Sorry! not about fave crime writers but i've had The Stand in my tbr pile for the last 2 years. I love deliberating on what book to read next, but The Stand always stays at the bottom of the pile due to the sheer number of pages, although you have got me interested in it again after reading your posts.
Read most of Stephen King's books a long time ago, enjoyed most of his earlier stuff, favourites being Salems Lot, The Tommyknockers, Pet Sematary & The Dark Half. Absolutely love The Green Mile, i found both the book & the film to be extremely moving.
The last two books i've read of his were Desperation & Black House but didn't really enjoy them.

sheila quigley
Serial Poster

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2006 »

please do read it now, I go on to people about this book, you will find that it is way above desperation which I thought was no where near as good as anything else he has written. Once you pick it up you will not put it down.

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2006 »

The Stand is truly one of King's best.  I'm not even sure how many times I've read it.  I took Oral Interpretation classes in college and King's novels were gold mines for narratives and dialogues.  One of my fellow students was my barometer, if she started hiding behind her hand, I knew I'd picked a good piece.  King actually has written a mystery novel, you know.  It's called The Colorado Kid.  It's in the style of pulp fiction (not totally pulp fiction, but it has that flavor to it) and it's really enjoyable.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

Sarah H
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2006 »

'The Stand' is one of my favourite King books too, but if you haven't read King before and developed 'the love' for his work then I would start with 'IT'. Someone on another thread was talking about the short story 'The Long Walk' which is truly brilliant. Everyone should read it. I have never been able to reread it but it has stayed with me for over 25 years. If you want a good King short story to reread then go with 'The Mist' which has a special place in my heart - I have to reread it every couple of years. It is completely far-fetched but is still a wonderful story.

I don't really enjoy King's recent books so much. I dont know why - they don't grab me in the way they once did. I don't have that all-consuming urge to read the book as soon as I buy it like I used to, which is sad, but I still buy them all and they are in my TBR pile too. I've yet to get into the Dark Tower books but everyone assures me it is worth persevering.

As for crime writers, I now have a large pile of books from Harrogate and am really enjoying myself with all these new styles. It is always exciting to discover a new author you like - but expensive because then you have to buy everything they have previously written. I've just finished Simon Kernick's 'A Good Day to Die' and was stupid enough to read the first chapter of 'Relentless' in the back which then hooked me into that book! Even telling my friend about the first chapter was enough to make her want to start reading it immediately! I was planning on reading John Rickards next, so now he will be after 'Relentless'.

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2006 »

Good Lord Sandra I was just thinking about you a few minutes ago.  Hope the art going well - obviously the kids are not getting bathed if you can find time to read - never mind school is a few weeks away yet  Grin Grin Grin

A friend gave me The Stand about 20 years ago and I still haven't read it - I'm not a great fan of Stephen King, although I did enjoy a few of his films. 

The cost of books isn't so bad sometimes, it's when you have to pay extra baggage for them that sucks, however each and every one of them are worth it. Smiley

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2006 »

Betty!!!  You must read The Stand-it's unbelievable.  I know you're not a big fan of the supernatural, but truly that book is one of King's best.  The use of supernatural in it is woven through people trying to deal with the aftermath of a horrible situation, so really it's the humans that stand out.

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

no name
Serial Poster

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2006 »

I have read Phillip Margolin's books for years.  I am surprised that I don't think I have even heard him mentioned here.  If you have a chance to read one of his books, especially his older ones, do so!   Wink

You have to let it all go.  Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind.

clashcityrocker
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2006 »

The Stand will always have a place in my heart, too.
Firstly because I remember it was the book I was reading in August 1980 when I first met my partner and it kind of reminds me of her-and not because she gave me an infectious disease, before anyone asks. (Those of you who have read the book will know what I'm talking about)
Secondly because The Stand is such a brilliant, epic novel. It's a great story with great characters, it's as simple as that: Trashcan man, Flagg, Stu Redman, Harold.
Can't wait to read it again.

sheila quigley
Serial Poster

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2006 »

Now I want to read it again,and there is no time, and I cant find it. But I will. Did anyone see the tv adaption of it. Alright but I think if it had really big stars and on the big screen it would have been fantastic.

norby
Hardened Forum Fiend

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2006 »

I loved The Stand (and other King works) because it was filled with suitably gory segments I could use to shock my classmates in Oral Interpretation class.  I knew I had picked a good piece if my friend Jana was hiding behind her hand by the time I was halfway done.   Shocked Grin

-Mike Rowe, Dirty Jobs

betty
Hardened Forum Fiend

Youghal - 5 miles of golden beach

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2006 »

And you want me to read it - I don't think I have your constitution for gory things Norby.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...
but while we are here we may as well dance"

sheila quigley
Serial Poster

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2006 »

Go on Betty I dare you.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print

Jump to: